Estimated Reading Time: <1Gov. Rauf Aregbesola of Osun State on Monday presented a bill for the creation of 27 additional local government development councils in the state to the state House of Assembly.
Presenting the bill, Aregbesola said the essence of the creation of more councils was to bring government closer to the people at the grassroots.
He said that the current councils in the state could not bring the desired results.
The governor said this was because they were too large to achieve what the administration intended to achieve through the councils.
He stressed that the only way to guarantee even development at the grassroots was to create new councils that would be precise, transparent and people-oriented.
“Sincerely, if this bill is eventually passed to law, the new development councils will not be a hindrance to the existing ones at all; it will just increase the quality of presentation at the grassroots.
“As law-abiding government, the creation was properly done in line with the stipulation of section 7 and 8 of the 1999 Constitution and it will co-exist with the existing ones mutually ,’’Aregbesola said.
The governor, however, enjoined the existing councils to be ready to make sacrifices as there would be a reduction in their emolument.
The Speaker of the house, Mr Najeem Salam, said the creation of the councils would improve the quality of governance.
He called on traditional rulers, community and religious leaders to point out any grey areas perceived in the structure of the councils to avert friction.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that if the new councils are created, their number will increase to 57.
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami