Estimated Reading Time: <1
The National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki, (retd.) has said that international terror organisation, Al Qaeda, has made it’s way into Nigeria’s security system.
The NSA’s statement was contained in a keynote address read on his behalf by Ambassador Layiwola Laseinde, who represented him at a workshop for counter-insurgency organised by the National Defence College, Abuja on Monday.
He said that the country had come to the realisation that military action alone would not suffice in the campaign against terrorism.
Dasuki said, “Global terror, championed by Al-Qaeda, has encroached upon the frontiers of Nigeria’s security and well-being. Nigeria is responding to this threat on all fronts.
“Through new and relevant legislations and policies, security agencies have continued to dismantle terrorists’ infrastructure in Nigeria.” He noted.
“Nigeria realises that military action on its own will not counter terror if not accompanied by a robust public diplomacy aimed at defeating the ideology of hate and building consensus against violent extremism.
He however, noted that strategic communication is an essential part of counter-terrorism operations.
Dasuki said that strategic communication in the country would enhance the exposure of the true intent and form of government “that the Al Qaeda-modelled Boko Haram seeks to impose.”
He said that the strategic communication strategy would also strive to place emphasis on the fact that terrorism was un-Islamic and that counter-terrorism was not targeted at Islam.
- FEC approves 65 years as new retirement age for teachers
- President Buhari presides over first FEC meeting of 2021
- Teachers violating COVID-19 guidelines in Abuja will be arrested and Prosecuted – Task Force
- ‘Have a good life, see you soon’ Trump says as he bows out of White House
- LAUTECH: Oyo Government approves N8Billion payment to Osun Government
- Fredrick Nwabufo: I’m a ‘herdsman’ — all herdsmen are not bandits
- COVID-19: Federal Government says ultra chain cold facility ready for vaccine storage
- Ondo Govt says Presidency backing criminal elements masquerading as herdsmen
- Like Trump, Buhari will be remembered for failure – Fayose
- Civil servants in Rivers State begin work from home