Estimated Reading Time: <1
A Kenyan Manchester United football fan committed suicide after Manchester United’s loss to Newcastle United over the weekend, a senior Kenyan police official said on Monday.
28 years old, John Macharia threw himself from a multi-storey apartment block in Nairobi after David Moyes’ men suffered a second home defeat in four days .
‘Macharia jumped from seventh floor of an apartment at Pipeline Estate after realising that his team Manchester United lost 1-0 to Newcastle at Old Trafford and committed suicide,’ Nairobi’s County Police Commander Benson Kibui told Reuters.
Newcastle’s first win at Old Trafford since February 1972 means the champions are now 13 points adrift of league leaders Arsenal.
Kibui urged soccer-obsessed Kenyan fans to support local teams rather than foreign clubs who do not have a link to the east African nation that is best known in the sporting world for producing middle and long-distance champion runners.
‘The football fans should enjoy the matches… but they should not commit suicide since life is very precious,’ Kibui added.
- Collective responsibility needed in fight against poverty — Okorocha
- INTERVIEW: I am excited people looked beyond the lip gloss to enjoy my content – Enioluwa Adeoluwa, 21-year-old Nigeria’s front-line Influencer
- Nigerian tribes want Yahaya Bello to contest 2023 presidential election
- Just In: Resident doctors suspend strike
- Hoodlums disrupt PDP North-West zonal congress
- Senate President Ahmed Lawan says Nigeria can never become a failed state
- Federal Government signs new MoU with striking doctors
- Veteran Nollywood Actor, Bruno Iwuoha Dies At 68
- Just In: Terrorists kill 8 miners in Plateau
- Denied By The System: Nigerian students lose scholarships as Universities delay transcripts