Estimated Reading Time: <1
A Kenyan Manchester United football fan committed suicide after Manchester United’s loss to Newcastle United over the weekend, a senior Kenyan police official said on Monday.
28 years old, John Macharia threw himself from a multi-storey apartment block in Nairobi after David Moyes’ men suffered a second home defeat in four days .
‘Macharia jumped from seventh floor of an apartment at Pipeline Estate after realising that his team Manchester United lost 1-0 to Newcastle at Old Trafford and committed suicide,’ Nairobi’s County Police Commander Benson Kibui told Reuters.
Newcastle’s first win at Old Trafford since February 1972 means the champions are now 13 points adrift of league leaders Arsenal.
Kibui urged soccer-obsessed Kenyan fans to support local teams rather than foreign clubs who do not have a link to the east African nation that is best known in the sporting world for producing middle and long-distance champion runners.
‘The football fans should enjoy the matches… but they should not commit suicide since life is very precious,’ Kibui added.
- Nigerian Government may reciprocate the visa restriction imposed on its citizens by the United States, Others
- Abubakar Malami denies corruption allegations; writes to Buhari
- Covid-19: Lagos council demands fumigation fees, certificates from churches
- Hollywood actor Antonio Banderas tests positive for COVID-19
- Breaking: Federal High Court orders substituted service of disqualification suit on Ize-Iyamu
- Civil servants on levels 12, 13 have been directed to resume work
- EiE opens ‘Hacking the Nigeria Code’ online course for citizen engagement
- There could be regrets; Federal Government warns as COVID-19 deaths approach 1,000
- 4.36 million oil barrels lost to power outage, others – NNPC
- Nigeria launches project in Osun to begin gold mining and refining in 2021