Estimated Reading Time: <1
A Kenyan Manchester United football fan committed suicide after Manchester United’s loss to Newcastle United over the weekend, a senior Kenyan police official said on Monday.
28 years old, John Macharia threw himself from a multi-storey apartment block in Nairobi after David Moyes’ men suffered a second home defeat in four days .
‘Macharia jumped from seventh floor of an apartment at Pipeline Estate after realising that his team Manchester United lost 1-0 to Newcastle at Old Trafford and committed suicide,’ Nairobi’s County Police Commander Benson Kibui told Reuters.
Newcastle’s first win at Old Trafford since February 1972 means the champions are now 13 points adrift of league leaders Arsenal.
Kibui urged soccer-obsessed Kenyan fans to support local teams rather than foreign clubs who do not have a link to the east African nation that is best known in the sporting world for producing middle and long-distance champion runners.
‘The football fans should enjoy the matches… but they should not commit suicide since life is very precious,’ Kibui added.
- CAC declares companies inactive for failing to file annual returns
- Buhari should change service chiefs and consider new strategies to tackle insecurity – Wike
- Nigeria’s inflation rises to 15.75%, highest since 2017
- Lagos State Government to close Apapa Dock for railway project
- Kaduna State government rescues 160 Almajiri children
- Bauchi State government to rehabilitate Tafawa Balewa’s tomb
- University of Ibadan announces resumption, says first semester of 2020/2021 will hold virtually
- Buhari’s pigeons refused to fly at armed forces remembrance celebration
- Inflation rate hits 15.75% in December– highest in 39 months
- Cheta Nwanze: Remembrance day, the Nigerian Army has a murderous reputation