Estimated Reading Time: <1
The National Chairman of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, Wednesday met with Senate President David Mark and other Senators of the party at the National Assembly complex.
Tukur was at the assembly to beg senators not to defect to the APC but the senators demanded that if they must remain in the PDP, the party should give them a right of first refusal by returning them their tickets ahead of the 2015 elections.. A senator at the meeting who spoke on the condition of anonymity said
“He said we should have confidence in his leadership and be free to approach him to address our grievances,” the Senator said.
Senate Leader Victor Ndoma-Egba (PDP, Cross Rivers) said: “On both sides we discussed issues affecting members of the PDP senate caucus and the national Chairman listened attentively and responded and gave us words of reassurance.”
The Senate President David Mark who spoke at the commencement of the meeting admitted that the party was facing some challenges but assured that they are capable of addressing the issues like a family matter.
“We admit we have some challenges in the party . It is expected in a big party like PDP. It is not unusual. We are equal to the challenges as a party. Hopefully, we shall come out of the crisis stronger”.
Though none of the new PDP members were at the meeting but Senator Mark told the PDP Chairman not to declare any Senators’ seat vacant if any decides to defect to another political party.
Among those who were absent at yesterday’s meeting include Senators Hassan Barata and Jibrilla Bindo from Adamawa State, Magnus Abe and Wilson Ake from Rivers State, Abubakar Bukola Saraki and Mohammed Shaaba Lafiagi from Kwara State, Mohammed Ali Ndume and Ahmed Zannah from Borno State and Abdullahi Adamu from Nasarawa State.
- APC Suspension: ‘A joke taken too far’ says Fayemi
- Auschwitz museum director begs Buhari for 13 year old boy jailed for blasphemy
- Tiv/Jukun conflict: Governor Ishaku urges fleeing communities to return home
- Obaseki says it will be immoral to return to APC, after meeting with Buhari
- Fact Check: Did Obasanjo really inherit $3 billion in foreign reserves?
- Lagos, Oyo, Kogi, Osun and Ekiti top list of states technically insolvent – Report
- APC Suspends Governor Kayode Fayemi for anti-party activities
- Insecurity: We should speak the truth about things we haven’t gotten right says Gbajabiamila
- The Nigerian Navy launches first purpose built hydrographic survey vessel
- INVESTIGATION: Ticketing Corruption by Railway Staff, Soldiers, Policemen Derailing Abuja-Kaduna Rail Project #TheTrainHasDerailed