Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Governor of Rivers state, Rotimi Amaechi has called on the National of House Representatives to probe the role of the Finance Minister, Mrs Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and the Minister of Water Resources, Mrs Stella Ochekpe over their alleged roles in the seizure of the World Bank and African Development bank loans approved for River State.
Speaking on Monday when the House committee on water resources paid him a courtesy visit at the Government House, Port Harcourt, Amaechi said his government had done everything required to receive the said loan. The House committee members were accompanied to the Government house by executive directors of Niger Delta Basin Development Authority
He reiterated that he did not mind if the Finance Minister awarded the contract by herself to anyone she deemed fit. All he said he want is the provision of portable and good drinking water for the people of Rivers
“The people who are dying and deprived of the portable drinking water are Rivers people who don’t have water in their homes.
We are prepared to allow the Minister of Finance (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) to award the contract to any person she wants to. We are only interested in the provision of portable drinking water for our people.
The Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, is using her position to undermine the safety and health of the people of Rivers State. I can’t afford to give all Rivers people bottled water, but all I can assure you is to ensure the provision of potable water.
But the Minister of Finance has refused to release it and I think I should put that before you (House Committee on Water Resources). They want Rivers people to die.”
The Chairman of the House Committee on Water Resources, Mr. Aliyu Pategi had earlier on revealed that his committee was in the state to establish and ratify the execution of various water projects in the state.
- 80-year-old, ward head and three others killed in bandits attack in Kaduna
- Bandits kidnap 17 persons in three communities in Niger State
- In Katsina, 21-year-old labourer, Abubakar Sani, dragged to court over alleged homosexual (rape) of an eight-year-old boy
- COVID-19: We have capacity to test 600 people daily – Governor Obaseki
- The Nigerian Government is selling properties to fund the 2021 budget – what happens after ?
- 2023: Fayemi is the most qualified presidential candidate from South-West – APC spokesperson declares
- Just In: FG says it is mandatory for foreign diplomats to obtain the National Identity Numbers
- Breaking: Ex-finance minister, Jubril Martins-Kuye is dead
- We will continue to demand the unconditional release of El-Zakzaky – IMN
- We are short of cooling facilities to store expected Covid-19 vaccines – Nigerian Institute of Medical Research