Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Governor of Rivers state, Rotimi Amaechi has called on the National of House Representatives to probe the role of the Finance Minister, Mrs Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and the Minister of Water Resources, Mrs Stella Ochekpe over their alleged roles in the seizure of the World Bank and African Development bank loans approved for River State.
Speaking on Monday when the House committee on water resources paid him a courtesy visit at the Government House, Port Harcourt, Amaechi said his government had done everything required to receive the said loan. The House committee members were accompanied to the Government house by executive directors of Niger Delta Basin Development Authority
He reiterated that he did not mind if the Finance Minister awarded the contract by herself to anyone she deemed fit. All he said he want is the provision of portable and good drinking water for the people of Rivers
“The people who are dying and deprived of the portable drinking water are Rivers people who don’t have water in their homes.
We are prepared to allow the Minister of Finance (Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) to award the contract to any person she wants to. We are only interested in the provision of portable drinking water for our people.
The Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, is using her position to undermine the safety and health of the people of Rivers State. I can’t afford to give all Rivers people bottled water, but all I can assure you is to ensure the provision of potable water.
But the Minister of Finance has refused to release it and I think I should put that before you (House Committee on Water Resources). They want Rivers people to die.”
The Chairman of the House Committee on Water Resources, Mr. Aliyu Pategi had earlier on revealed that his committee was in the state to establish and ratify the execution of various water projects in the state.
- NASS legislative aides protest unpaid salary arrears
- Nigeria – An increasing number of measles cases in Borno
- Mariam Ileyemi: Fresh wave of religious crisis shouldn’t add to Nigeria’s many problems
- Police commend officers for rejecting N500,000 bribe
- Opinion: Yinka Odumakin, the storm is over!
- “Someone said I slept with the wife of the man who helped my career”, – Perruzi breaks silence
- USSD SAGA: Will the suffering of Nigerians ever end?
- CCT’s media officer who wrote the ‘Biafran Boys’ statement has been recalled
- New salary and welfare package for Judges in the works – Malami
- ‘Kaduna Government has no choice but to reduce the size of the public service’ – El Rufai