Estimated Reading Time: <1
Ivory Coast international and Manchester City Of England midfielder has won the coveted BBC African footballer of the year award for 2013. This is the fifth consecutive time the towering Ivory Coast midfielder is being nominated for the award.
He came tops against the likes of Victor Moses (Nigeria), John Mikel Obi (Nigeria), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon) and Jonathan Pitroipa (Burkina Faso) to bag this year’s crown
“I think I’ve been nominated for five years in a row and finally winning the award is amazing.
It’s a fantastic achievement because I don’t think there has ever been as many quality African players in top-level international football as there are now: Aubameyang, Pitroipa, Mikel, Moses, Salomon Kalou, Gervinho… we have fantastic players.
I also think African football is improving and that means a lot to us. And as an African, I’m very happy.” an elated Toure told BBC SPORTS
The shortlist had been drafted by forty four (44) African football experts. The shortlist was based on the following parameters: players’ skill, technical ability, teamwork, consistency and fair play. Toure took out time to show appreciation to his fans and all those who voted him for the award
“Thank you to all the fans around the world who continue to support me. It shows how much fans love you and appreciate your job as well. It’s something special because it’s not the vote of the manager or the club or the captain of the national team, it’s just the fans. When you have a lot of fans behind you, it’s always amazing. And I’m very happy as it is the fans who have given it to me – so I’m very appreciative.”
the Ivorian concluded.
- FEC approves 65 years as new retirement age for teachers
- President Buhari presides over first FEC meeting of 2021
- Teachers violating COVID-19 guidelines in Abuja will be arrested and Prosecuted – Task Force
- ‘Have a good life, see you soon’ Trump says as he bows out of White House
- LAUTECH: Oyo Government approves N8Billion payment to Osun Government
- Fredrick Nwabufo: I’m a ‘herdsman’ — all herdsmen are not bandits
- COVID-19: Federal Government says ultra chain cold facility ready for vaccine storage
- Ondo Govt says Presidency backing criminal elements masquerading as herdsmen
- Like Trump, Buhari will be remembered for failure – Fayose
- Civil servants in Rivers State begin work from home