Estimated Reading Time: <1
By Chukwu Ude
The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Attahiru Jega Friday announced that the supplementary elections for Anambra Gubernatorial polls will hold Saturday, November 30th, 2013.
Professor Jega addressing newsmen in Abuja said the commission regrets shattering expectations of Nigerians but the electoral umpire did it’s best under the circumstances to conduct free and fair elections, he added.
Jega acknowledged that the commission’s performance did not meet Nigerians expectations to be the best elections ever conducted but said the issue of disenfranchisement cannot be used to cancel the elections to do fresh elections.
According to the INEC Chairman, In regards to disenfranchisement, the substantial majority of people’s names omitted from the register were people that had done multiple registration or did not take advantage of the opportunity to get their names on the Electronic Registration from the continuous register.
He said the allegation that INEC gave a different register other than the one given 30days before the election is incorrect.
- COVID-19 lockdown: Over 24,000 children have not returned to school – Sanwo-Olu
- Tambuwal appoints committee to investigate Sokoto central market fire
- Anambra Governorship election to hold November 6 – INEC
- Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo flags off N5,000 cash transfer to low-income earners in urban areas
- Arewa Youth Leader says Northern Nigeria is the most backward region despite having the president
- Borno Governor asks Federal Character Commission for more employment slots
- Buhari appoints Nigeria’s first female ambassador to the United States
- Motorcycle riders are working as spies for kidnappers – Amotekun says
- Where will herdsmen graze if they leave the forest reserves? – Miiyetti Allah queries Akeredolu’s vacation order
- Kukah gets international recognition with appointment by Pope Francis