Estimated Reading Time: <1
By Chukwu Ude
The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Attahiru Jega Friday announced that the supplementary elections for Anambra Gubernatorial polls will hold Saturday, November 30th, 2013.
Professor Jega addressing newsmen in Abuja said the commission regrets shattering expectations of Nigerians but the electoral umpire did it’s best under the circumstances to conduct free and fair elections, he added.
Jega acknowledged that the commission’s performance did not meet Nigerians expectations to be the best elections ever conducted but said the issue of disenfranchisement cannot be used to cancel the elections to do fresh elections.
According to the INEC Chairman, In regards to disenfranchisement, the substantial majority of people’s names omitted from the register were people that had done multiple registration or did not take advantage of the opportunity to get their names on the Electronic Registration from the continuous register.
He said the allegation that INEC gave a different register other than the one given 30days before the election is incorrect.
- Was Nigeria’s finance minister ignorant? or lying? – CBN Governor Emefiele says Printing money is a cardinal job of the lenders
- Helen McCrory, star of Peaky Blinders, dies aged 52
- German govt ignores Nigeria, picks Ghana to establish West African center for global health
- Cheta Nwanze: Security, civic space and the media
- DSS claims to have uncovered plans by IPOB to Bomb banks in South-East
- ‘Bandits are threatening to marry our girls’ Parents of abducted Kaduna students cry out
- Local Government workers block convoy of Nasarawa Deputy Governor
- Adaora Okoye: Unravelling myths surrounding women in leadership in Nigeria
- JUSUN sets April 19 for nationwide peaceful protest
- IGR for Nigerian states drops to a new low – NBS Report