Nigeria’s Presidential media aide, Dr Reuben Abati has denied media reports that Goodluck Jonathan was Saturday booed at by South Africans where he attended a meeting on terrorism in Africa and inauguration of President Zuma for a second term.
Media reports from South Africa by the AFP said, Jonathan was booed at by the People of South Africa who screamed “Bring Back Our Girls”, expressing their disapproval at the manner in which the President has managed the search of abducted school girls.
But Abati in a statement Sunday noted that “Nobody booed the President in South Africa. President Jonathan’s presence was much appreciated by the people and government of South Africa.
He said those peddling misinformation that President was jeered at in South Africa are unfair, malicious and uncharitable. “Fits into a known political pattern.”
While in South Africa, where President Jonathan attended a meeting on terrorism in Africa and inauguration of President Zuma for a second term, the media aide said it was a successful outing.
He added that the “meeting on terrorism held on sidelines of Pres. Zuma’s inauguration was attended by Nigeria, SA, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Congo,Ghana & C’Iv.”
The Presidents’ discussed modalities for defining a stronger framework for partnership in combatting terrorism and the meeting on terrorism in SA resolved that no single country can on its own deal with the challenge of terrorism in Africa.
A continental approach involving all African states will strengthen the war against terrorism, formed part of the resolutions by heads of government and terrorists can run from one country to the other but across Africa they must not be allowed any hiding place.
The meeting however condemned Boko Haram, he said. The meeting on terrorism held in South Africa is preparatory towards an African Union Summit in Guinea Bissau in June focussing on terrorism in Africa.
“The meeting on terrorism held in South Africa is preparatory towards an AU Summit in Equitorial Guinea in June, on terrorism in Africa. The meeting in SA is a significant follow up to Paris Summit last week and perfectly consistent with AU conventions/resolutions on terrorism.”