The death of a popular Port Harcourt based social media influencer and blogger, Michael Odeyemi, alias ‘Yemi the Plug’ at the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, UPTH on Tuesday led to protests over allegation that he was not given the proper medical attention.
A group of angry youths on Tuesday blocked the entrance gate of the UPTH, protesting over death of Odeyemi.
The angry youths alleged that Odeyemi who is an asthmatic patient died due to the alleged negligence of the nurses on duty at the Accident and Emergency Ward of the hospital.
According the angry youths who are said to be students, the popular blogger who was asthmatic had a crisis and was rushed to the Accident and Emergency Ward at about 4 am, but he was not attended due to lack of Oxygen.
The protesting youths said they came to the hospital for management to explain to them how their friend who rushed to the hospital alive at about 4 am died at about 6am the same day
One angry students said the nurses refused to attend to the the blogger until they were told that he was the son of one of the hospital Staff, but at that time it was too late.
In an online tribute Felix, one of the friends the deceased wrote:
“Michael Odeyemi who is popularly known as Yemi or Yemitheplug was confirmed death early hours of today by the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital after he was rushed into the hospital by neighbours of his apartment.
“He was said to be struggling with asthma attack and was immediately rushed to the hospital for proper care but according to reports, he was left unattended to until he was confirmed death.
Eye witnesses claimed the nurse on duty was asking for an Identity Card ID instead of taking care of the emergency at hand.
Yemi who was well known and loved by even celebrities like Bella shmurda,James Brown, Mr funny, Dandizzy etc has left a big hole in the heart of so many people.”
Reacting to the incident,the Chairman of Medical Advisory Committee, UPTH, Prof. Lucky Onotai said that the report he got from Head of the Nursing Unit was that the patient was brought the Accident and Emergency Ward of the hospital dead.
” The report was that the student had an asthmatic attack in his lodge, he tried to apply inhaler which did not work and before they could rush him to the hospital,he was already dead.
“As it is procedural in an apex hospital like ours, a panel will be set up to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death nof the patient. There will not be any coverups.”
Our Correspondent learnt the Management Of The University Of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital has sets up a Panel to probe cause of Yemi’s death.
However, students of the institution complain that they have lost fellow students due to delays based on insistence of the Nurses duty that a certain the IDs of the patient and certain amounts of money must be deposited first before treatments are administered.