Nigerian Newspapers: Headlines that will interest you today, Tuesday

Date:

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Good day, good citizens of Nigeria. Here are headlines from Nigerian Newspapers that may interest you today, Tuesday, September 27, 2022.

1. INEC, CAN, Sultan warn parties, supporters against violence [Punch Newspaper]

As political parties begin campaigns for the 2023 poll on Wednesday (tomorrow), the Independent National Electoral Commission; Christian Association of Nigeria, the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar III and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr Boss Mustapha, have given a stern warning to political parties to avoid violence during the exercise.

The development came amid rising insecurity in the country as politicians also step up efforts to protect themselves with the demand for bulletproof cars and security gadgets rising in recent months. Read more.

2. Ortom Breaks with Wike, Says He’s Not Supporting Ayu’s Removal [ThisDay Newspaper]

Benue State Governor Samuel Ortom, yesterday, dismissed insinuations that he was in support of the removal of National Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Dr. Iyorchia Ayu, saying it is impossible for him to advocate the removal of someone he helped to appoint. Ortom reasserted his confidence in Ayu’s ability to lead the party to victory in next year’s general election, in a surprising contrast to the position of his close ally, Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike.

The governor was reacting to accusations by a group, Jemgbagh Development Association, that he was involved in the ouster moves against the PDP national chairman, a fellow Benue man. Read more.

3. Bauchi students protest plan to separate boys from girls in secondary schools [NewsWireNGR]

Secondary school male students in Bauchi on Monday protested the state government’s plan to separate male and female students.

The government’s plan was earlier in the month revealed by the State Commissioner for Education, Mr Aliyu Tilde, while addressing newsmen after the State Executive Council (SEC) meeting in Bauchi, noting that it would only be executed whenever and wherever it was possible. Read more.

4. Released Presidential Campaign Council not conclusive — APC [NewsWireNGR]

The All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council (PCC) says the 422 member-list released at the weekend is not conclusive.

Mr Bayo Onanuga, Director, Media and Publicity of the council said this in a statement on Monday in Abuja.

He said the list contained only the directors, deputy directors, secretaries of directorates and other key stakeholders. Read more.

5. Boko Haram: Retired military officers, wives, children protest unpaid allowances [NewsWireNGR]

Some retired military officers and their family members stormed the headquarters of the Ministry of Defence, Abuja, to protest the non-payment of their Security Debarment Allowance, among others.

The aggrieved protesters, joined by some relatives of the deceased personnel, blocked access road to the Ministry located at Ship House on Olusegun Obasanjo Way in the Federal Capital Territory. Read more.

6. ASUU Strike: FG withdraws circular ordering VCs to reopen universities [NewsWireNGR]

The federal government (FG), through the National Universities Commission (NUC), has withdrawn a circular ordering universities Vice Chancellors to reopen schools for lectures to resume.

NewsWireNGR had earlier reported that the previous letter signed by Sam Onazi, director, finance and accounts of the NUC, on behalf of Abubakar Rasheed, executive secretary of the commission was addressed to all vice-chancellors; pro-chancellors and chairmen of governing councils of federal universities.

In the newest development, another circular signed by Onazi and quoted by The Punch, reads in part; “I have been directed to withdraw the NUC Circular Ref: NUC/ES/138/Vol.64/135, and dated September 23, 2022 on the above subject”. Read more.

7. INEC chair to brief Nigerians on PVCs allegedly found at ‘inappropriate locations’ [NewsWireNGR]

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it plans to reveal its findings on investigation carried out on alleged Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) found in different locations in Nigeria, in the nearest future.

Mr Festus Okoye, the INEC National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education, said this at a two-day capacity workshop for INEC Press Corps on critical issues in the Electoral Act, 2022 and preparations for 2023 General Election on Monday in Lagos. Read more.


Always visit NewsWireNGR for latest naija news and updated naija breaking news.

NewsWireNGRLatest News in Nigeria

Send Us A Press Statement/News Tips on 9ja Happenings: [email protected]

Advertise With Us: [email protected]

Contact Us

LISTEN to NewsWireNGR PODCASTS

- Advertisement -
NewsWireNGR
NewsWireNGR
We tell underreported stories and drive conversational Journalism for change

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

Alvan Ikoku: More than Just a face on 10 naira

By Balogun Kamilu Lekan On one of those nights, while...

Banks vandalised as Protesters take to streets in Ibadan protesting naira scarcity

A Wema Bank branch in Ibadan, Oyo State, was...

Governor Seyi Makinde suspends campaigns over ongoing unrest, fuel, naira crises

The Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, on Friday...