Metro

VIDEO: Lagos shuts Eko Bridge, as fire guts shops at Apongbon

Lagos State Government has ordered the closure of Eko Bridge for public use following an inferno that gutted some shops under the Bridge, at Apongbon, Lagos Island.

The state government also issued a 48 hours notice to owners and occupants of makeshift and containerized shops under bridges across the state or face consequences.

The fire at Apongbon on Wednesday raged for several hours before it was put out by men of both Federal and State Fire Services, and destroyed properties worth millions of naira.

Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Emergency Management Authority, LASEMA, Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, announced the quit notice while reacting to the unfortunate inferno in the state.

Oke-Osanyintolu, explained that the notice had become necessary to restore normalcy to the environment as well as prevent similar incident from occurring in future.

The LASEMA boss said; “The Lagos State Government, is hereby issuing a 48 hours notice to owners and occupants of containerized shops or makeshift stalls under bridges across the state to remove and relocate to designated areas.

“Failure to heed to this notice will attract arrest and prosecution of defaulters, while enforcement team will demolish any structure found in sight under bridges.

“The bridge has also been shut pending when integrity and Environmental Impact Assessment, EIA, is conducted on the bridge to determine the level of public safety.”

However, giving an update on the fire incident, Director Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Margaret Adeseye, said the situation had been brought under control as of press time 1 pm.

According to Adeseye, the fire service received the distress call at 03:14 wee hours on Wednesday, to under the Eko Bridge at Apongbon, where various wares were met well alight by the first set of crew of the agency on arrival.

She explained: “The intensity of the fire has badly affected the Eko bridge truncating movement along that corridor.

“The nature of the fire is disastrous as all Emergency responders are on top of the situation.

“There has been no reported case of injury or death while fire fighting operations still ongoing.”

Always visit NewsWireNGR for latest naija news and updated naija breaking news.

NewsWireNGR Latest News in Nigeria

Send Us A Press Statement/News Tips on 9ja Happenings: [email protected]

Advertise With Us: [email protected]

Contact Us

LISTEN to NewsWireNGR PODCASTS

Leave a Reply