The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has announced the suspension of the January 27 protest over the federal government initial move to suspend petrol subsidy.
This was announced by the organised labour president, Ayuba Wabba while addressing journalists at the Labour House in Abuja.
Speaking, Wabba said; “Following the reversal and reproach by government, the National Executive Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress met this morning (Tuesday) virtually to consider the new position of the government.
” The NEC after vigorous debates took a decision to suspend the planned nationwide protest scheduled for 27th January, 2022 and the national protest scheduled for 2nd February, 2022.”
FG had on Monday through the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, announced the suspension of the planned petrol subsidy removal.
Speaking during a meeting held at the National Assembly in Abuja on Monday, the Minister said the suspension is till further notice.
Meanwhile, the Minister of State for Petroleum, Timipre Sylva, had earlier said, President Muhammadu Buhari is not in support of the removal of subsidy on the Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), popularly known as petrol.
Rather, he explained that the Federal Government planned to complete consultations before coming out with a clear policy direction on the matter.
“I will tell you categorically that at this moment, the complete removal of subsidy is not on our plate at all,” said Sylva during Channels Television’s Newsnight.
Likewise, the Senate President, Ahmed Lawan, had claimed Buhari did not order anybody in his administration to remove the petrol subsidy.
Send Us A Press Statement/News Tips: [email protected]
Advertise With Us: [email protected]