Security

Iskilu Wakili not kept at Oyo Correctional Centre — Official

The Deputy Controller-General in charge of operations at Abolongo Correctional Centre, Tukur Ahmad, has debunked the rumour that gunmen who attacked the prison came purposely to rescue Iskilu Wakili, a suspected kidnapped kingpin.

Ahmad said that Wakili was not kept at Abolongo Correctional Centre, adding that the only high profile inmate in the facility was been tried by the EFCC and he was still in the facility.

He however did not disclose the location where Wakili was kept.

NewsWireNGR recalls that unknown gunmen attacked the correctional facility on Friday at about 9.50 p.m, freeing inmates awaiting trial.

Also, the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, says there is no hiding place for all the escaped inmates from the

Aregbesola made the assertions on Sunday during his visit to the correctional centre in Oyo.

“I am assuring Nigerians that there is no hiding place for any inmate that escaped from our facilities.

“This is because, we have the records of all the inmates, including their biometric data, which are being forwarded to the Interpol.

ALSO READ: Rivers not fighting FG over tax collection, says Wike

“This will make it impossible for them to travel, apply for any travel document, engage in any financial transaction or present themselves at any border post in any country in the world.

“They are fugitives and will remain on the run until we apprehend them; we shall surely apprehend them,” the minister said.

He said that security agencies were already on their trail and would not rest until “they are able to bring in the last one dead or alive”.

Aregbesola, however, called on Nigerians to be patriotic and report to the nearest security post whenever they sight an escaped inmate, promising that handsome rewards awaits the informants.

He said that it was a criminal offence, punishable by a jail term for anyone to offer any assistance, not even giving a cup of water, to any inmate that escaped from lawful custody.

“You cannot help them in any way absolutely, by way of cash, food, clothing, medical care, employment, road direction and any form of help, other than to encourage them to turn themselves in and report them to the law enforcement agencies.

“The Federal Government, however, out of magnanimity, is giving them a small window to voluntarily turn themselves in, for which they will be pardoned for escaping from custody,” he said.

READ ALSO: FG responsible for many cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria — NMA President

The minister condoled with the families of the victims of the attack.

In his remarks, the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III, who also visited the facility, called on the people of the state to be calm, saying that government would respond to the situation appropriately.

The state Governor, Seyi Makinde, also ordered immediate installation of CCTV to all the Correctional centres in the state and the grading of the bad road leading to the centre.

Meanwhile, the Osun Police Command, on Sunday said 13 of the inmates who escaped from Abologo Correctional Centre in Oyo, on Friday, have been re-arrested in Ejigbo, Osun.

SP Yemisi Opalola, Osun Police Spokesperson, confirmed the development to newsmen and stated that the inmates were arrested on Saturday night, adding that they would soon be transferred to the Police State Criminal Investigation Department.

“God has helped the Command to re-arrest 13 escaped prisoners from Abologo Correctional Center Oyo, Oyo State.

The inmates were wandering in the town on Saturday, when policemen on patrol arrested them.

The Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, had earlier on Sunday, promised that all escaped inmates from the Oyo correctional facility would be re-arrested, during his visit to the correctional facility.

Aregbesola equally said 446 of the 907 escapees from the correctional centre had been recaptured, whilst 69 never left the facility, adding that 392 inmates are still at large

NewsWireNGR Latest Underreported News In Nigeria

Leave a Reply