The Kogi State Government says it is aware of a planned campaign to smear Governor Yahaya Bello ahead of the 2023 general election.
The Kogi State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Kingsley Fanwo, who spoke to journalists in Abuja on Sunday, said persons had been paid millions of naira to embark on the smear campaign.
The commissioner said, “Fresh on the hills of the discredited allegations against the Kogi State Government by the EFCC backed by some other powerful vested interests in the country, the Kogi State Government is aware of several plots to paint it black in the public perception on a regular basis from now till 2023.
“Intelligence reports at our disposal show that a certain George whose other details we prefer to keep for now is at the centre of this conspiracy. If and when his madness manifests, we will respond to him with the applicable legal force. Our gentleness must not be mistaken for cowardice,” he said.
Fanwo said several bloggers and “media-guns-for-hire” had been contracted to regularly publish claims of embezzlement of public funds by Bello and his administration.”
“We hope that you gentlemen of the press will be vigilant and activate your investigative offices before running with such fabricated and unfounded allegations.
“Despite intense pressure and lobbying from across the country and even Nigerians in diaspora, Governor Yahaya Bello has not told anyone that he is running for President in 2023.” he stated.