News

Again, Nigerian Air Force mistakenly bombs civilians in Borno community

The Nigerian Air Force has been accused of killing at least 20 fishermen in a Borno community after it mistook the community for a militant camp.

According to AFP who broke the report on Tuesday morning, the military bombed the community, Kwatar Daban Masara on Sunday.

AFP further reported that the news had been slow to circulate because of the telecommunication shut down in the region.

A local fisherman who spoke to the news outlet, Labo Sani said the jet strike hit Kwatar Daban Masara at around 6 am, killing around 20 fishermen.

But other sources cited in the report say the death toll could be as much as 50.

Insecurity in Nigeria, particularly in the northern region has remain undefeated hence the constant military offensive against terrorists, bandits and other criminals.

Recently, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF), took delivery of the first batch of six A-29 Super Tucano aircraft from the United States.

The Air Force had earlier said air fighters from Nigeria were already in the U.S. receiving additional training on the usage and the applications of the fighter jets when eventually added to the fleet of combat aircraft.

However, while these aircraft should have helped in the fight against terrorism in the North-East and other forms of insecurity, there have been errors on the part of the NAF officers leading to the death of both civilians and members of the Nigerian Army.

Less than two weeks ago, the Nigerian military had mistakenly bombed Buwari community in Yobe State, killing at least 12 people and injuring many others with the air strike.

The military initially denied being responsible for the air strike but it later admitted it was a misdirected attack after the State Governor publicly admitted the attack and condoled the victims.

Leave a Reply