Estimated Reading Time: 1
Nigeria’s secret police known as the State Security Service has arrested Usman Bugaje, an Islamic scholar and a political activist
The SSS are yet to state while he was arrested but NewsWireNGR learnt it is not unconnected to the comments he made when he appeared on Africa Independent Television (AIT) on Wednesday morning.
He has since remained at the secret police custody since 10 am.
Mr Bugaje, who has at different times criticised the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari on the program condemned the rising spate of insecurity across the country,
NewsWireNGR gathered that it is unsure if he will be released from custody today.
Also confirming the arrest, Mairo Mandara, the special adviser on sustainable development to Borno governor, Babagana Zulum took to her Twitter page to report the arrest.
She wrote, “We are patiently waiting for the bail terms of Dr Usman Bugaje who was invited by SSS since 10am today for speaking at an AIT Programme where he criticised govt on national security.”
In 2016, Bugaje rejected an ambassadorial offer from Buhari citing “his hands full” as the reason for the rejection, according to a post he made on Facebook.
- Uzodimma vs Okorocha: Eastern Palm University VC sacked
- Troops have rescued 13 citizens kidnapped by terrorists in Kaduna
- PHOTOS: Funeral Service for Chimamanda Adichie’s mother; Mrs Grace Ifeoma Adichie
- Buhari’s Presidency has surrendered “our nation to terrorists” – PDP
- 27 abducted students of the college of forestry, Kaduna have been released
- Federal Government begins process to deploy 5G Technology
- Father Mbaka resurfaces, allays supporters’ fears
- Facebook upholds decision to suspend Donald Trump from platform
- ‘We will all suffer if Nigeria is not better’ – Isa Pantami
- ‘We don’t have Father Mbaka’ – DSS responds