Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has revealed that 8 AK-47 and a machine gun, all part of the weapons that were stolen when armed men attacked a military convoy in Benue State.
The Governor who made the revelations in Makurdi early this week said the government had also arrested four individuals with suspected link to the attack.
The Governor disclosed that those arrested included Sam Kave, deputy chairman, Konshisha LGA; Tersoo Mela, councillor representing Mbatser/Mbaguza ward; Unaha Koko, the district head of Iwarnyam and Emmanuel Adegbenda, head of Bonta, and that all the arrested suspects have a hand, one way or the other, in the killing of 11 soldiers and a captain in Bonta village of Benue state.
“The council commended the minister of defence and service chiefs for allowing the state government and its security council to wade into the matter and help recover the lost weapons instead of the military going to do so themselves.
“Since then, we have not slept. We did everything to ensure that we recover the arms and by the grace of God, we are able to recover eight AK47 plus the one the army recovered themselves earlier making it nine.
“We also recovered the machine gun that the militia took from them too and all the recovered weapons have been handed over to the army already.”
The Governor also added that the Benue state executive council will meet to discuss how to assist the families of the 12 military personnel who were killed in the attack.
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies
- Ebonyi Government says it will offer amnesty to repentant bandits
- Reps Committee summons NNPC, others over oil mining lease revocation
- ‘Buhari needs to speak to Nigerians; we didn’t vote for Garba Shehu or Femi Adesina’ – Dino Melaye
- I will stop being a Nigerian if Tinubu becomes President – Bode George
- Breaking: FG announce high profile Nigerians and institutions as financiers of terrorism
- “Some people are mercilessly against this country,” – Disappointed Buhari says
- Supreme court declares dissolution of Oyo Local Government Councils illegal
- Pastor Adeboye’s son to be buried on Tuesday May 11
- Abia Governor promises to rescue abducted ABSU student