Estimated Reading Time: 1
The publisher of the Daily Nigeria, Jaafar Jaafar has reportedly gone into hiding after facing increasing threats to his life in recent times.
Sources close to him said, “Jaafar Jaafar’s life is in danger because unidentified individuals are hunting him down at his homes in Abuja and Kano.”
The sources claim the threats is not unconnected to his article on the release of more than 15 photos in 2018 showing the Kano governor allegedly taking kickbacks from contractors.
In 2018, Jaafar released footages of Ganduje receiving stacks of dollars.
The cash was alleged to be kickbacks from contractors handling projects awarded by the Kano State Government.
The Kano state government had vowed to take action on the video footage and even in an interview with the BBC in March, the Kano governor reiterated that they would take action against the person who released the video.
On April 14, 2021, the IGP Monitoring Unit invited the journalist for questioning for “inciting violence and spreading injurious falsehood”.
A letter signed by ACP A. A. Elleman, said the office was “investigating a case of Criminal Conspiracy, Defamation, Injurious Falsehood and Inciting Violence to the Inspector General of Police in which your name featured.
“In view of the foregoing, you are kindly requested to interview the undersigned on Monday 19th April 2021 by 10.00am prompt through SP Usman Garba (Admin Officer) to shed more light on the allegation.” The ketter read.
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies
- Ebonyi Government says it will offer amnesty to repentant bandits
- Reps Committee summons NNPC, others over oil mining lease revocation
- ‘Buhari needs to speak to Nigerians; we didn’t vote for Garba Shehu or Femi Adesina’ – Dino Melaye
- I will stop being a Nigerian if Tinubu becomes President – Bode George
- Breaking: FG announce high profile Nigerians and institutions as financiers of terrorism
- “Some people are mercilessly against this country,” – Disappointed Buhari says
- Supreme court declares dissolution of Oyo Local Government Councils illegal
- Pastor Adeboye’s son to be buried on Tuesday May 11
- Abia Governor promises to rescue abducted ABSU student