Estimated Reading Time: 1
A student of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, Adedeji Emmanuel, has committed suicide.
This was announced by the Chief Security Officer of the school, Babatunde Oyatokun, Tuesday evening.
“The Security Department announces the painful departure of a student of the Faculty of Admin; Adedeji Emmanuel who till his time of passing was a 200-level student of Management and Accounting.
“It is being speculated that he died as a result of intake of pesticide and all evidence points towards this but we have launched an investigation to unravel the circumstances surrounding his death,” Mr Oyatokun said in a statement.
He advised students to utilise the Counseling Unit of the school when dealing with psychological or academic issues.
He added that the unit has continually strengthened relationships with Mental Health Support Initiative, a group of mental health experts and enthusiasts.
The Public Relations Officer of the OAU, Abiodun Olanrewaju confirmed the incident but could not provide any reason why the young man ended his life.
Olanrewaju said, “The name of the student is Adedeji Emmanuel, a part two student of the Department of Management and Accounting.
“We appeal to parent and guidance to please let our children know that failure or depression occasioned by whatever, suicide should not be an option.
“We sympathize with the parent and friends of the deceased. He was at his formative stage.
“We heard that he left a suicide note. It pains us that the boy is no more. His action was because of one challenge or the other.”
- In Delta, Governor Okowa sacks commissioners, SSG, Chief of Staff, others
- Muhammadu Buhari: As governments struggled to contain COVID, jihadists have taken advantage in the Sahel
- SERAP wants Nasir El-rufai to “immediately end the growing crackdown on workers and protesters in his state”
- Just In: Buhari appoints Abubakar Fikpo as DG NDE
- COVID-19: NAFDAC approves Johnson & Johnson for emergency use
- Ayade finally approves the ‘appointment’ of magistrates unpaid for 2 years
- Kaduna State Government vows to dismiss workers who join NLC protest
- Naomi Campbell welcomes baby daughter at 50
- Nigeria Immigration Service formally suspends issuance of new passports
- Kaduna strike: Wabba dares El-Rufai; leads protest to state house