Estimated Reading Time: 1
Gunmen in the early hours of Thursday have repotedly attacked the Mbieri Divisional Police Headquarters situated in the Mbaitoli Local Government Area of Imo state.
The PUNCH reports that the fleeing gunmen struck around 1am and immediately released the suspects in custody in the police facility. The gunmen also took away the phones belonging to suspects and the police operatives at the Division, while kidnapping one police officer and injuring two other officers.
A Police source while confirming the attack, however said the gunmen were repelled by the policemen on duty.
“We resisted them but they overpowered us. They had more sophisticated weapons. They took all the phones they saw, released the suspects when they gained access and vandalized the police building.” he said.
Several police stations in Imo state have been attacked in the last two months with the most recent one including a correctional facility in Owerri, the state capital that saw over 1500 inmates freed.
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami