Estimated Reading Time: 1
The leader of the proscribed group, Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu has criticised rehabilitation programmes for Boko Haram members and bandits.
Kanu says no one deserves to be in any prison if the government negotiates with these killer men.
Taking to his Twitter account on Monday, he tweeted, “If Miyetti Allah terror herdsmen & other murderous #Fulani groups, including Boko Haram insurgents, can be arrested, freed and rehabilitated by this neo-colonial Fulanised @NGRPresident, then no single soul deserves to be in any prison in Nigeria. If you know you know! #UGM”
The comments by Kanu comes hours after over 2000 inmates at the headquarters of the Nigerian Correctional Service, Owerri, Imo State and the State Criminal Investigation Department of the command were set free by unknown gunmen on Monday morning.
Though some sources have linked to IPOB officers, there are yet to be a credible connection to the group.
NewWireNGR gathered that the attackers also burned down the Imo State Police Command headquarters in Owerri and all the vehicles parked at the command headquarters in an attack that lasted from 1am till 3am on Monday.
Eyewitness reports say that they sang solidarity songs at the Government House Roundabout for about 30 minutes before attacking the facilities, a security source confided in our correspondent.
On breaking into the prison facility with the aid of explosives and dynamite, the attackers told the inmates, “Go home, Jesus has risen. You have no reason to be here.”
- Just In: Army arrests 13 suspected Boko Haram terrorists in Kano
- Miyetti Allah Chairman regains freedom
- For Eid-el-Fitr, Buhari plans modest celebration within Aso Rock
- Ogun Police say, anyone planning to attack any station in the state is on a “suicide mission”
- NDLEA busts an alleged online drug trafficking cartel that sells to Abuja residents
- Insecurity: We urge Nigerians to boycott Democracy day – Coalition of Civil society in Nigeria tackle Buhari
- UNIBEN warn admission seekers to be wary of the activities of racketeers
- Wike says “no amount of intimidation will make the state succumb to any secessionist”
- We are against payment of ransom to bandits – Arewa Consultative Forum
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money