Estimated Reading Time: 1
A human rights lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN) has asked the Federal Government to arrest renowned Islamic cleric, Sheik Ahmad Gumi, first before planning to arrest Yoruba rights activist, Sunday Igboho.
Recall the former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, has accused the Muhammadu Buhari-led government of planning to arrest, detain and kill Igboho.
But in an interview with The Punch Newspaper on Saturday, Falana asked to arrest Gumi for meeting with bandits, and other northerners who had in the past issued notices to quit to southerners.
He wondered why the government refused to arrest Gumi for causing religious division in the Nigerian military and for advocating amnesty for bandits.
He said, “Sunday Igboho should not be arrested because those who had issued quit notices in the past were not arrested. Someone like Gumi, who is causing religious division in the military, has not been arrested. Unless they are ready to adopt the same standard, you cannot arrest Igboho.
“Those who gave quit notices in the past were never arrested. In any case, the DSS has denied trying to arrest him. However, you cannot arrest him.”
The senior lawyer asked the government to ensure that justice was applied fairly and equitably in order to move the nation forward.
- NDLEA busts an alleged online drug trafficking cartel that sells to Abuja residents
- Insecurity: We urge Nigerians to boycott Democracy day – Coalition of Civil society in Nigeria tackle Buhari
- UNIBEN warn admission seekers to be wary of the activities of racketeers
- Wike says “no amount of intimidation will make the state succumb to any secessionist”
- We are against payment of ransom to bandits – Arewa Consultative Forum
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money
- Muhyideen Kolawole: The Healthcare System in Nigeria is Collapsing
- Nasir el-rufai is “one of the real enemies” of Nigeria – Benue Governor Ortom says his Kaduna counterpart is an “ethnic champion and religious bigot”
- #EndSARS: Witness shared videos revealing Army shooting at protesters at the Lekki Toll
- Ohanaeze Chieftain vows to ‘put an executive Zik in Aso Rock in 2023’