Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, says he stopped appointing to women because he’s been accused of dating the women he has previously appointed; and that”womem are a problem to themselves”.
Speaking at the second edition of the Association of Nigerian Women Business Network (ANWBN) in Abuja, during the weekend, Amaechi said:
“Don’t tell me you are on the table and should be given a position because you are a woman, don’t ask that any seat should be set aside for you, ask for your right, it is your right. Women in politics stay for meetings till 2am. So if your husband allows you to join politics, he should be ready to support you.
“Any woman I have ever given appointment merited it, but you are also a problem unto yourselves. If appointment is given to a woman, a fellow woman will start saying the man is dating the woman and that she did not get the appointment because she merited it, which is one of the reasons I stopped.” he said.
“I do not support male domination, neither do I support female domination. I believe that all of you seated here are qualified to rule this nation; I don’t believe that a particular seat should be set aside for a woman; the reason is that women are by far more intelligent than men,” Taiye Elebiyo-Edeni, his Special Assistant on Media, quoted him to have said.
“The Deputy Secretary- General of the United Nations, Amina Mohammed, was selected not because she is a woman but because she performed excellently well in her previous position” he further stated.
- CCT’s media officer who wrote the ‘Biafran Boys’ statement has been recalled
- New salary and welfare package for Judges in the works – Malami
- ‘Kaduna Government has no choice but to reduce the size of the public service’ – El Rufai
- DPR revokes 32 private refinery licences
- Father, son killed as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Buhari welcomes Ramadan, urges Nigerians to reject divisive voices
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country