Estimated Reading Time: 1
Voters and electoral officials fled in different directions when explosion rocked the polling unit at Umuola Hall, Ward 8, Ogbor Hill, Aba North Local Government Area of Abia State, on Saturday.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is currently conducting a bye-election in Aba North/Aba South Federal Constituency.
Ossy Prestige, the lawmaker who represented the constituency at the House of Representatives, died on February 6 and his seat was declared vacant.
Ahead of the bye-election, top politicians in the area had engaged in a heated argument. They had accused one another of plotting to instigate violence during the exercise.
The election was going on smoothly at the affected polling unit until a substance suspected to be a bomb went off.
More details to follow.
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies
- Ebonyi Government says it will offer amnesty to repentant bandits
- Reps Committee summons NNPC, others over oil mining lease revocation
- ‘Buhari needs to speak to Nigerians; we didn’t vote for Garba Shehu or Femi Adesina’ – Dino Melaye
- I will stop being a Nigerian if Tinubu becomes President – Bode George
- Breaking: FG announce high profile Nigerians and institutions as financiers of terrorism
- “Some people are mercilessly against this country,” – Disappointed Buhari says
- Supreme court declares dissolution of Oyo Local Government Councils illegal
- Pastor Adeboye’s son to be buried on Tuesday May 11
- Abia Governor promises to rescue abducted ABSU student