Estimated Reading Time: 1
Pauline Tallen, minister of women affairs, has urged persons involved in attacks on schools to desist from such actions.
Tallen said this on Saturday in Abuja, while reacting to the abduction of students of the Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation, Afaka, in Igabi LGA of Kaduna state.
Gunmen had attacked the school in the early hours of Friday and kidnapped several students.
Samuel Aruwan, the state commissioner for internal security and home affairs, said troops of the Nigerian army rescued 172 students and eight staff members of the college.
According to him, 23 female and 16 male students are yet to be accounted for, following the attack.
While condemning the attack, the minister pleaded with the abductors to return the students unharmed and safe to their parents.
“The abduction of school children, especially young girls, is one too many and is not good for the safety and sanctity of womanhood,” she said.
“We have cried, pleaded, prayed and fasted for this to stop to no avail.”
She, however, expressed confidence in the efforts of the authorities and asked that Nigerians pray for the students’ release.
“I am confident that the military and security agencies are on top of the situation, so we must all pray for their safe rescue and release,” she said.
“I appeal strongly to the abductors of our innocent children to abandon this heinous act and return our remaining children unharmed to us and their anxious parents.”
- Just In: Army arrests 13 suspected Boko Haram terrorists in Kano
- Miyetti Allah Chairman regains freedom
- For Eid-el-Fitr, Buhari plans modest celebration within Aso Rock
- Ogun Police say, anyone planning to attack any station in the state is on a “suicide mission”
- NDLEA busts an alleged online drug trafficking cartel that sells to Abuja residents
- Insecurity: We urge Nigerians to boycott Democracy day – Coalition of Civil society in Nigeria tackle Buhari
- UNIBEN warn admission seekers to be wary of the activities of racketeers
- Wike says “no amount of intimidation will make the state succumb to any secessionist”
- We are against payment of ransom to bandits – Arewa Consultative Forum
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money