Estimated Reading Time: 2
The remaining students of Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation (FCFM), Afaka in the Mando area of Kaduna State, have been evacuated to the 1 Division Garrison Command of the Nigerian Army in Ribadu Cantonment.
NewsWireNGR had reported how armed men broke into the school and abducted some students.
A military source told Daily Trust that but for the efforts of personnel of the Nigerian Air Force and troops of 1 Division Nigerian Army Headquarters, Kaduna, the attack would have been worse.
The source, who did not want to be named, said some students were rescued during the attack but the kidnappers made away with an unconfirmed number of students.
ASP Mohammed Jalige, Police Public Relations Officer in Kaduna, had earlier confirmed the incident but said the number of abducted students was unknown.
“We have no details of the number of students,” he had told our correspondent, adding that the Police were working with the Nigerian Army to trace the kidnappers and rescue the students.
A student at the school told the BBC that during the night the attackers entered the school.
She said almost half of the female students were taken to school and not a single male student was taken.
But neither the government nor the security forces have confirmed this.
A resident of Mando area in Kaduna State said they heard gunshots around 11:30 pm but thought it was at the NDA Military Academy.
“Sometimes in the NDA they shoot at night since it is a military school, so we thought about what was going on. It wasn’t until the next morning that we went out to pray and we found out what had happened,” he said.
The man explained that so far security officers have surrounded the school and the rest of the unaccompanied students have been evacuated to the NDA school.
BBC journalist, Yusuf Tijjani, who went to the school, confirmed seeing security guards at the school and parents huddled in front of the school.
He said the remaining students who have not been abducted are being counted.
He said some security officers had seen bullets in the school and were investigating.
He said there were about 300 students at the school but there was still no certainty on how many students had been abducted.
- Breaking: Southeast governors announce own security outfit ‘Ebubeagu’
- #SaabGate: Joe Abah denies involvement in Alex Saab campaign
- Breaking: South-East governors meet in Imo on security
- Ramadan: Look out for crescent from Monday – Sultan
- Police rescue 15 abducted persons, 32 cows in Kaduna
- Police arrest 17 suspected cultists in Abuja
- SERAP says it is unfair to pay judges less, while Presidents and governors take home “huge salaries”
- Catholic Priest abducted in Imo
- Collective responsibility needed in fight against poverty — Okorocha
- INTERVIEW: I am excited people looked beyond the lip gloss to enjoy my content – Enioluwa Adeoluwa, 21-year-old Nigeria’s front-line Influencer