Estimated Reading Time: 1
Gunmen kill 15 in attack on Tara town and surrounding villages in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of ??Sokoto State in northwestern Nigeria.
It is also alleged that the attackers stole some animals after attacking the villages around midnight on Thursday.
Residents told the BBC Hausa Service that the gunmen surprised people through a gateway, opening fire on the crowd killing 15 people and injuring seven others.
Among the dead was a six-year-old girl.
At the time of writing, the Sokoto police had not responded to a phone call from the BBC, but the aide to the state governor on media, Malam Muhammad Bello, confirmed the incident.
In addition, the hijackers stole a large number of cattle and did not leave the town until they set fire to food stocks.
“They entered the town at 12:00 pm and started rioting until 2:00 pm,” said a local resident who did not want to be named.
He added: “They killed eight people in Tara, four in Hillu, three in Nasarawa and one in Zago.
“They took away about 470 cows and cattle.”
A local resident also said the bodies had already been buried.
“They were calling the security officers at the time but they did not get to come and even though they came they had already left, despite the fact that the villagers followed them but could not reach them,” he said.
Last January, insurgents stormed the area, stealing about 200 head of cattle.
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami