Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Senate Committee on public petition has on Monday ordered the arrest of the management of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC).
The order was issued by the Chairman of the Committee, Senator Ayo Akinyelure following the agency’s management disregard of the Senate’s invitation to account for how the sum of N2.6 billion palliative fund it got from the Federal Government was misappropriated.
Recall that the Senate panel which had been investigating the alleged misappropriation of the palliatives funds has found the agency’s management uncooperative in the investigation.
The investigation began off the back of allegations from the NDDC palliative Chairman, Mr Jackrich Sobomabo that the funds was misappropriated by the NDDC management.
The Senate threatened to arrest the Interim Administrator, Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Effiong Akwa, if he fails to honour a fourth invitation, dated February 5 to appear before the Senate on February 22. He had disregarded three earlier invitations.
Speaking on the warrant of arrest, Mr Sobomabo decried how he had put in efforts to get the palliatives.
He said, “I was appointed the palliative Chairman, but when the sum of N2.6 billion was released by the Federal Government, the NDDC management spent the fund without my knowledge.
“It’s unfortunate that they have been evasive when the Senate Committee wanted them to come and explain how the fund was spent.
“If they eventually come around and explain satisfactorily, I will be alright, but they must appear to explain how the fund was disbursed.
- “I won’t take any vaccine” – Governor Yahaya Bello has said Kogi state people are not “guinea pigs”
- I tested positive for COVID-19 – Obasanjo
- Singer, Simi says female entertainers are constantly pitted against each other – she explains the difficulties
- Lagos State Government announces 3 months partial closure of Marine bridge
- WAEC cancels Literature-in English exams; candidates to rewrite papers March 11
- “They took away about 470 cows and cattle” killed 15 persons – Eyewitness accounts after gunmen storm Sokoto
- Speaker Gbajabiamila begs Nigerians to accept COVID-19 vaccine
- “That is the trump card that I will not reveal” – Chief of Defense Staff, General Lucky Irabor talks tough
- Repentant Boko Haram members return to the terror group after spying on security agents formation – Governor Zulum
- Nigerian soldier and his girlfriend were recently caught supplying ammunitions and military uniforms to armed bandits in Zamfara