Estimated Reading Time: 1
President Muhammadu Buhari has said the peace and safety of Niger Republic is important to Nigeria because they are the country’s very close neighbour.
The President stated this through a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, after receiving in audience Namadi Sambo, former Nigerian Vice President who is now the ECOWAS Head of Mission on the elections in Niger Republic.
Mr Buhari also commended the country’s outgoing President Mahamadou Issoufou and his government for keeping to their country’s Constitution with respect to run-off polls scheduled for February 21, 2021.
The statement titled “Nigerien run-off polls: President Buhari praises outgoing government for following the constitution.”
“Neighbourliness, whether national or individual, is very important, as the peace of your neighbour, or lack of it, may also affect your own well-being,” Buhari stated.
He then wished the Republic of Niger, Sambo and his team best of luck, as the run-off polls hold over the weekend.
The ECOWAS Head of Mission said campaigns have been peaceful thus far, as the contending political parties seal deals and alliances for outright victory.
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami