Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Senate on Wednesday asked Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari to declare a state of emergency on security without further delay.
The red chamber made the call following a point of order by Senator Sani Musa (APC, Niger East), on the abduction of students and staff of the Government Science Secondary School in Kagara, Niger State in the early hours of Wednesday.
Musa said the terrorist who whisked their victims away were dressed in military uniforms.
He said the actual number of students abducted was not known but that the school had over 1000 students.
The Senator said security agencies had explained that they were on the trail of the criminals.
The Senate demanded the implementation of its ad hoc resolution on security and urged the combined team of military and police to set up an operation to destroy criminal camps across the country.
Senator Sabi Abdullahi, also from Niger State, said the kidnappers and bandits were emboldened by the successes being recorded in the state in recent time as about 100 people had so far been kidnapped in the state.
He said the forest from the FCT which extends to Niger up to Zamfara State was being used by the criminals.
He said the fact that the bandits have invaded Niger State was an indication that the safety of lives and properties of FCT residents is being threatened.
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami