Estimated Reading Time: 2
Nollywood actress, Toyin Abraham has addressed the “derogatory comments” that have followed the conversation that female actresses buy expensive things while their male counterparts do not have money.
Taking to her Instagram page on Monday, the actress said it had become necessary for her to respond to the allegations that Nollywood actresses fund their lifestyles from romantic relationships after reading a tweet from rapper, Ruggedman and the comment from people.
The allegation had trailed a Nollywood actress, Destiny Etiko’s announcement of her new car, a Prado SUV.
Shortly after she took to her Instagram page to show off her new ride, a blogger gistloverupdate alleged that the car was the result of an affair by the managing director of Belema Oil.
Ruggedman had asked why only female actresses buy cars and houses while their male colleagues do not buy as much.
He tweeted, “My male actors in nollywood whats going on? Its just the females that are buying cars and building houses left and right. I wanted to come into Nollywood but at this rate, I am not coming again.”
Reacting, Mrs Abraham said the accusations are false because like women, some men are also paid in millions.
She said, ” I read between the lines and saw what Ruggedman implied. It is a little bit sad that many people on social media leeched on it with many derogatory comments about women especially those of us in Nollywood.
“It is important that I put this out there that many women make money and make good money legitimately. I know actresses who charge 2 million, 3 million and 5 million in this Nollywood. I get paid in millions of naira for gigs. As a a matter of fact, I just paid for a very good car worth millions of Naira and at the same time I know a lot of men in Nollywood who are doing extra ordinarily well and paid in millions.
“The fact that most of these men choose not to make noise on social media do not in any way mean that they are second class citizens in this industry.
“We need to stop attributing every woman’s success to her sexual prowess with men, women deserve the success they have as much as men without attributing it to their sexuality.
“Nollywood women like Bimbo Ademoye, Nancy Isime, Kehinde Bankole, Inidima Okojie , Sharon Ooja, Bisola Aiyeola, are getting paid in millions.
“Even script writers that are not in the limelight are getting paid in millions. It is disparaging to put the successes of these women within the box of their sexuality.
“A lot of women are doing great things legitimately. I am one of them and so also are many other women in other industries not just the entertainment industry. A woman is more than the sum total of her sexuality.”
- Just in: Thousands of residents trapped as Boko Haram insurgents take over Dikwa, Borno State
- Our abductors threatened to kill, fry, eat us – Jangebe schoolgirls
- Jangebe Kidnapping: Repentant terrorists helped us rescue the schoolgirls – Matawalle
- Kidnapped Jangebe schoolgirls regain their freedom
- ‘The first thing I’m focused on, is COVID-19’ Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala says
- NBC asks DSS to arrest operators of Radio Biafra
- Police in Sokoto confirms terrorists killed 12 persons In Illela
- A splinter Boko Haram group, regrouping in my state – Nasarawa Governor Raises Alarm
- Terrorists that attacked in Kaduna are from neighbouring states – Commissioner
- Ondo Government bans NURTW, RTEAN activities in the state