Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has fixed November 6 for the conduct of the governorship election in Anambra State.
INEC Chairman of Information and Voter Education, Festus Okoye, disclosed this in a statement issued on Tuesday.
He said the date followed a meeting by the commission to deliberate on the activities for the conduct of the poll, adding that the tenure of Governor Willie Obiano would expire by March 17, 2022.
“By virtue of Section (178)(1) and (2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) and Section 25(7) and (8) of the Electoral Act, 2010 (as amended), election into the office of the State Governor shall hold not earlier than 150 and not later than 30 days before the expiration of the term of office of the last holder of the office,” the statement partly read.
“Constitutionally and statutorily, the tenure of the Governor of Anambra State will expire on 17th of March 2022 and the earliest date for the election into the office of Governor, Anambra State, shall be 18th October 2021 and the latest date for the election shall be 15th February 2022.
“In the exercise of the powers conferred on it by the Constitution, the Electoral Act and all other powers enabling it in that regard, the Commission has fixed 6th November 2021 as the date for the conduct of the Anambra State Governorship election.”
According to the electoral umpire, a statutory notice on the timetable and schedule of electoral activities would be issued on June 9.
While the collection of forms would commence on June 10, INEC said the deadline for the conduct of primaries and resolution of conflicts arising from the exercise is July 1.
- In Delta, Governor Okowa sacks commissioners, SSG, Chief of Staff, others
- Muhammadu Buhari: As governments struggled to contain COVID, jihadists have taken advantage in the Sahel
- SERAP wants Nasir El-rufai to “immediately end the growing crackdown on workers and protesters in his state”
- Just In: Buhari appoints Abubakar Fikpo as DG NDE
- COVID-19: NAFDAC approves Johnson & Johnson for emergency use
- Ayade finally approves the ‘appointment’ of magistrates unpaid for 2 years
- Kaduna State Government vows to dismiss workers who join NLC protest
- Naomi Campbell welcomes baby daughter at 50
- Nigeria Immigration Service formally suspends issuance of new passports
- Kaduna strike: Wabba dares El-Rufai; leads protest to state house