Estimated Reading Time: 1
Anambra State former governor, Peter Obi has said the reason for Nigeria’s failure is that people are elected and recruited based on sentiment and not merit.
He said this as he joined River State governor, Nyesom Wike to commission the newly constructed Internal Road Phase 2 in Isiokpo, Ikwere Local Government Area of Rivers State.
“The reason Nigeria is not working today is that people have been recruited based on sentiments,” Mr. Obi said..
“If we have to recruit you to be local government chairman, governor, vice president, president, and minister, it must be based on capacity and competence, which are viable not what we are doing now and the country is collapsing”.
Obi added that accountability is important in governance and it is critical in building the trust of the people.
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money
- Muhyideen Kolawole: The Healthcare System in Nigeria is Collapsing
- Nasir el-rufai is “one of the real enemies” of Nigeria – Benue Governor Ortom says his Kaduna counterpart is an “ethnic champion and religious bigot”
- #EndSARS: Witness shared videos revealing Army shooting at protesters at the Lekki Toll
- Ohanaeze Chieftain vows to ‘put an executive Zik in Aso Rock in 2023’
- Police arrests 49 Shiite protesters in Abuja
- For the second time in a week, gunmen attack police station in Akwa Ibom
- ‘El-Rufai’s comments are mischievous’ – Igbo Leaders respond
- ‘You can’t get Presidency by threats or shouting victimhood’ – El Rufai says to South-East
- ‘A military takeover is not the solution to Nigeria’s problems’ – Adams Oshiomhole