Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Department of State Services (DSS) has raised alarm over plans by some people to incite inter-religious violence across the country.
This warning is contained in a statement by the DSS spokesperson, Peter Afunanya on Monday.
The statement warned that the prime target areas for these intended violences are Sokoto, Kano, Kaduna, Plateau, Rivers, Oyo, Lagos and states in the south-east.
The statement read, “The DSS wishes to alert the public about plans by some elements working with external forces to incite religious violence across the country.
“Targeted States include Sokoto, Kano, Kaduna, Plateau, Rivers, Oyo, Lagos and those in the South East.
“Part of the plans is to cause inter-religious conflicts as well as use their foot soldiers to attack some worship centres, religious leaders, personalities, key and vulnerable points.
“Consequently, Nigerians are advised to be wary of these antics and shun all divisive tendencies aimed at inciting or setting them against one another.
“While the Service pledges to collaborate with sister agencies to ensure that public order is maintained, those hatching these plots are warned to desist from such in the interest of peace, security and development of the country.
“However, law-abiding citizens (and residents) are encouraged to report suspected breaches of peace around them to the nearest security agencies.”
The Department of State Services had also in December alerted Nigerians about plans by “enemies of state” to unleash terror on vulnerable places, including critical infrastructure, places of worship as well as recreational centres during the Christmas and New Year celebrations.
- Insecurity: Nurses In Ogun State threaten strike until ‘safety is guaranteed’
- NASS legislative aides protest unpaid salary arrears
- Nigeria – An increasing number of measles cases in Borno
- Mariam Ileyemi: Fresh wave of religious crisis shouldn’t add to Nigeria’s many problems
- Police commend officers for rejecting N500,000 bribe
- Opinion: Yinka Odumakin, the storm is over!
- “Someone said I slept with the wife of the man who helped my career”, – Perruzi breaks silence
- USSD SAGA: Will the suffering of Nigerians ever end?
- CCT’s media officer who wrote the ‘Biafran Boys’ statement has been recalled
- New salary and welfare package for Judges in the works – Malami