Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said that it will hold all the pending bye-elections on Saturday, December 5, 2020.
The Commission disclosed this through a press statement signed by its National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education, Festus Okoye Esq. on Friday.
Recall that the Commission postponed the scheduled October 31 after a series of consultations with critical stakeholders advised that a challenging security situation and other environmental challenges in the country made it a risk.
With this intelligence, it postponed the 15 pending bye-elections across 11 states to further notice.
The commission met again on 5th November 2020 to discuss the extensive damage and vandalization of local government offices and facilities that affected some areas where the bye-elections would be held.
After this, they met with Political parties, Civil Society Organizations on Tuesday 10th November, and the Inter-agency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES) on Wednesday 11th November 2020. It finally met with all Resident Electoral Commissioners on Thursday, 12th November and decided that the elections should hold on the 5th of December 2020.
“Based on these consultations, the Commission believes that security in the affected states has improved while the environmental challenges have reasonably abated,” the statement said.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Restructuring is not enough; we must change the constitution says Goodluck Jonathan
- Former Goalkeeper and Super Eagles Assistant Coach, Joe Erico has died
- COVID-19: Insecurity is Nigeria’s coronavirus – Former Sokoto Governor
- Biden reverses Trump’s Muslim ban
- Presidency says N-Power beneficiaries can now get permanent jobs
- Pogba shoots Manchester United to top of Premier League
- Fact Check: Tweet urging Nigerians to register for NIN or get banned is from a parody account
- After 6 days in captivity, Bauchi House of Assembly member has been released
- All Nigerians have the right to live in Oyo State – Seyi Makinde
- Nyesom Wike has donated N500 million to Sokoto to support the rebuilding of central market