Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Kogi State correspondent of the Sun newspaper, Emmanuel Adeyemi has been shot. Adeyemi was shot a stone throw from the gate of the Nigerian Union of journalists,(NUJ) secretariat, Lokoja on Monday morning.
Also shot by the drive-by shooters was a man who just arrived Lokoja from Benue and caught in the mayhem.
Daily Trust reports that that Mr. Adeyemi has been rushed to the Specialist hospital in the state capital for treatment.
The state chairman of NUJ l, comrade Adeiza Momoh-Jimoh told our reporter that doctors are currently working hard to save him.
‘The X-ray has been ordered and the doctors are working hard on him,” he said while describing the shooting as dastardly and sad.
It was learnt that there were sporadic gunshots following the resumption of looting in another warehouse in Zone 8 area of the state.
A similar incident was recorded overnight when ADP Warehouse was invaded where several bags of fertilizer were carted away.
Residents said sporadic gunshots rents the air while all shops along Murtala Mohammed way, Lokoja were closed with people running for safety in different directions.
When contacted, the police public relations officer William Aya said that the gunshots were from hoodlums who were scaring people away to enable them have free access to their looting activities.
He said that the shootings were not from the Police adding that the suspects were being trailed and would be brought to book shortly.
Reacting, the commissioner of information, Kingsley Fanwo said, “It is unfortunate that sponsored mercenaries were sneaked into the town to cause mayhem.
And it is sad that they shot a journalist who was performing his legitimate duties. Government will ensure that all the people involved in the violence are brought to book”.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Nigerian Army deploys 300 female officers to volatile Abuja-Kaduna highway
- Outrage as Abuja area council charges hotel N500,000 radio and television licence fee
- 3rd Mainland Bridge to be shut for another 3 days – FG
- COVID-19 outbreak in Anambra House of Assembly; plenty cancelled
- NANS support NDLEA’s proposal to administer drug tests to students before admissions
- Nigerians can now register for NIN with Telcos – NIMC
- Electricity: Power sub-stations in Oyo and Ogun States to be completed with N124.2 million – FG
- Federal Executive Council approves N995 Million for road projects
- Governor Seyi Makinde deploys 200 Amotekun operatives in Ibarapa
- House of Representatives promises to pass PIB by April