Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has revealed the identities of suspected police officers involved in the death of an #EndSARS protester in Area C, Surulere.
NewsWireNGR recalls that, 55-year-old Ikechukwu Iloamauzor was allegedly killed by a stray bullet during Monday’s during the #EndSARS protest in Surulere, Lagos.
The governor Thursday, identified the policemen as two inspectors and two sergeants. The governor noted that four officers have been arrested in connection with the incident.
The governor also added that,“Lagos state is taking the issue of police misconduct very seriously, earlier this week, we all recall the incident that happened at the Area C command in Surulere.
“All the four officers have been identified and are going through an orderly trial.
“All the four erring officers whose name I will also mention have also been apprehended and are going through an orderly trial. They are Inspector Bagou Michael, Inspector Ekpoudom Etop, – Sergent Nnamdi Madura, and Sergent Akinyemi Benson.
“We have also set up a panel to look into all cases of police brutality and fatality and have set up a N200m compensation fund. I will make all announcements shortly. Once again, I apologise to any protester that has faced brutality during any of the protests days.”
He said a “Panel of Enquiry and Restitution for Victims of SARS In Lagos: We have setup a 7 man panel that will ensure that all those with verifiable cases of SARS brutality or fatality receive compensation. The Panel will be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi”.
“Other members are: Mr. Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society); Rtd. DIG Taiwo Lakanu (a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police); Ms Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society); Mr. Segun Awosanya (Human Rights Activist);…Mrs. Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens Mediation Center); as well as a rep/member of the youth-led protest and a representative of the Human Rights Commission.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Ndoma-Egba tells hoodlums who broke into his house to return the robes of his late father who was a judge
- Lagos lawmaker says most young Nigerians are high on drugs in reaction to #EndSARS protest
- Cross River primary health care boss decries destruction of health centers
- Nigeria will ensure Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala emerges WTO DG; Federal Government vows
- Lagos Lawmaker says hoodlums hijacked #EndSARS protests because protesters gave them food
- Buhari says Nigeria’s economy too fragile for COVID-19 lockdown
- CBN releases guidelines for N75 billion youth investment fund
- #EndSARS: Did the Nigerian Government kill its citizens and tried to erase all the evidence?
- Former spokesman says Army used blank bullets in Lekki shooting; faults Amnesty International report
- Lagos schools to reopen November 2