Estimated Reading Time: 1
Governors of the 19 northern states have rejected the disbandment of the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF).
Simon Lalong, Plateau state governor and chairman of the Northern Governors Forum, told State House correspondents after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja on Thursday that the police unit has been useful in the fight against insecurity in the region.
“SARS is not made up of bad elements alone as it also includes personnel who are doing their work diligently,” he said.
Lalong said what is needed is the reformation of the unit to enable it to discharge its functions.
Thousands of Nigerians marched in Lagos, Abuja and other cities to demand an end to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, or SARS, a police unit accused of extrajudicial killings and abuses.
But the protests continued as the #EndSARS campaigners demanded the prosecution of all officers named in cases of rights abuses.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Attempted Jailbreak foiled at Ikoyi Prison
- #EndSARS: Open Letter to VP Osinbajo; It’s time to realise the emperor has no clothes
- Breaking: Lagos to ease 24-hour curfew imposed over #EndSars
- LCC says the closed-circuit television system from the Lekki toll gate is intact #EndSARS
- “Nobody ordered the removal of cameras at the Lekki toll gate” – Governor Sanwo-Olu denies again #EndSars
- CCTV was dismantled to cover the massacre of young peaceful, #EndSARS protesters by the military
- #EndSARS: NECO reschedules SSCE papers again
- Lekki Toll Gate Killings: Yemi Osinbajo speak on shootings
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The Nigerian state has turned on its people #EndSARS
- IGP orders withdrawal of policemen attached to VIPs across Nigeria