Estimated Reading Time: 1
Nigeria’s Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, SAN, has lamented that one of his drivers died as a result of the #EndSARS protest in Abuja on Wednesday.
In a tweet Thursday, the minister explained that the driver, Mr. Yohanna Shankuk, was hit by a vehicle around the Berger area of Abuja.
NewsWireNGR recalls that “government funded” hoodlums had attacked the protesters in Abuja Wednesday with machetes and sticks, destroying cars and the protesters were able to arrest a few.
According to the minister, the driver died as a result of the protest by youths against police brutality and extortion in the country.
He tweeted, “I regret to announce that my driver, Mr. Yohanna Shankuk, died yesterday in Abuja as a result of the protests.
“A vehicle that saw advancing protesters at Berger roundabout, made a U-turn, took the one-way back and ran over him as he was making his way on foot to my private office.”
The minister earlier alleged that the ongoing #EndSARS protest rocking the country is becoming a mob action.
According to him, some criminal elements have mixed with genuine protesters to unleash terror on citizens and members of the Nigeria Police Force.
Thousands of Nigerians continue to march in Lagos and other cities demanding an end to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, or SARS, a police unit accused of extrajudicial killings and abuses.
In an address on Monday, Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari said SARS officers responsible for wrongful acts would be brought to justice. He said disbanding the unit was the first step to extensive police reforms to ensure the primary duty of police would be to protect lives and the livelihoods of people.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Over 15 million Nigerians abuse drugs – NDLEA new boss promises to end drug abuse
- Abuja resident hospitalised after IGP’s orderly fires AK-47 rifle in beer parlour
- Buba Marwa resumes office as NDLEA Chairman
- Invest in dispelling COVID-19 misinformation – Cross River Primary Healthcare DG urges FG
- Oyo PDP alleges APC is behind production of fake Amotekun uniforms
- Anambra first lady, Ebelechukwu Obiano gets moderna COVID-19 vaccine in America
- 2023: Nigerians should reward Tinubu with Presidency – House of Rep member
- Declare Dogara’s seat vacant; PDP asks court
- Buhari appoints DG for National Directorate of Employment
- Federal Government says COVID-19 tests are not required for returning students