Estimated Reading Time: 2
The building which collapsed on Sunday in Lagos State has recorded a death toll of eight.
According to the officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, emergency responders recovered one more body.
20 people were rescued while giving an update Monday morning.
LASEMA spokesman, Nosa Dokubor gave the breakdown as “10 seriously injured and taken to Lagos Island General Hospital, 10 mildly injured and treated at the scene. Eight fatalities.”
The cause of the collapse of the three-storey building under construction in the Obalende area of Lagos State is still yet to be determined.
It is learnt that some labourers were working on the third floor of the building. Some of them who are Muslims were observing prayers when the tragedy struck.
The building had earlier been sealed off by the Lagos State Building Control Agency.
A source, who spoke with PUNCH Metro, said despite the sealing off of the building by LASBCA, the workers used a roofing sheet to shield the site to continue the work.
The source stated, “The work at the site is illegal because LASBCA had sealed off the place so those working there operated against the law. To achieve their purpose, they used a roofing sheet to cover the whole structure, and by so doing, nobody knew that they were working on the site.
“What some of those, who survived, said was that some people are still trapped in the rubble as they were praying when the building collapsed. We don’t know if they are alive or dead, but that is what some of the survivors said.”
Meanwhile, four persons were confirmed dead on Monday in an early morning accident involving a Mazda bus and a Daf truck around Saapade bridge on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
Mr Ahmed Umar, the FRSC Sector Commander in Ogun confirmed the incident to News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abeokuta.
Umar said that the accident occurred at 2:50am and was caused by route violation and dangerous driving.
He explained that the truck driver drove wrongfully against traffic and had a head-on collision with the Mazda bus.
The FRSC boss added that six people were involved in the accident which comprised of five male adults and one female adult, saying that four persons died which comprised of three male adults and one female adult.
“The accident involved a Daf truck marked AGL 813 XX and a Mazda bus with registration number FDY 265 XA,” he said.
Umar explained that the deceased had been deposited at FOS mortuary in Ipara.
The sector commander discribed the crash as avoidable, saying that it occurred in an accident prone area and required utmost care while driving within the axis.
He commiserated with the families of the victims of the crash and enjoined them to contact FRSC command Ogere for details of the crash and reclaim the properties of the victims recovered from the scene.
The FRSC boss advised the motoring public to drive cautiously, avoid route violation and obey traffic rules and regulations.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNG
- Insecurity: Nurses In Ogun State threaten strike until ‘safety is guaranteed’
- NASS legislative aides protest unpaid salary arrears
- Nigeria – An increasing number of measles cases in Borno
- Mariam Ileyemi: Fresh wave of religious crisis shouldn’t add to Nigeria’s many problems
- Police commend officers for rejecting N500,000 bribe
- Opinion: Yinka Odumakin, the storm is over!
- “Someone said I slept with the wife of the man who helped my career”, – Perruzi breaks silence
- USSD SAGA: Will the suffering of Nigerians ever end?
- CCT’s media officer who wrote the ‘Biafran Boys’ statement has been recalled
- New salary and welfare package for Judges in the works – Malami