Estimated Reading Time: 1
Despite the disbandment of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police Force, #EndSARS protesters on Monday morning hit the Lekki Toll Gate section of the Lekki-Epe Expressway, Lagos State, to resume demonstrations.
Lagos is a major financial centre for all of Africa and is the economic hub of Lagos State and actions carried out by protesters further grounds economic activities for the megacity with the fourth-highest GDP in Africa.
“According to the IMF, lagos GDP as at 2019 stood at $136Billion, about one third of Nigeria’s GDP. – If Lagos were a country, it would have the 7th largest GDP in Africa. Much of this is in services and transportation”. – Mr Tunde Ajileye, partner at SBM Intelligence tells NewsWireNGR.
Mr Ajileye added, “Perhaps this economic impact will cause the government to begin to take seriously the more important human cost that the brutality of police units like SARS causes to it’s most valuable resources – its young people”.
NewsWireNGR Correspondent at the protest ground reports that the protesters are demanding an end to SARS operations – most of the protesters do not trust the announcement by the Police IGP as there’s been widespread crackdown across the country after the announcement was made.
Amongst others, the Protesters are also demanding the release of all arrested protesters. The development has led to early morning gridlock as commuters and motorists on their way to work were on standstill.
The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, had on Sunday, bowed to pressure and disbanded the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad.
He said a new policing arrangement to address armed robbery and other violent crimes that fall within the mandate of the dissolved tactical unit would be presented in due course.
Announcing the decision at the Force headquarters, Abuja on Sunday, Adamu acknowledged the inalienable rights of citizens to freedom of association and expression.
The additional demands released late Sunday…
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNG
- Buhari orders soldiers to shoot anybody seen with AK-47 – Garba Shehu
- Just in: EndSARS protesters stole $2m, N17m in my palace – Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu
- There is no big deal in Super Eagles travelling to Benin Republic by boat – NFF President
- COVID-19: Edo State confirms receipt of vaccines from Federal Government
- Federal Government should hire mercenaries to end insurgency – Borno Governor
- Cattle and Foodstuff Dealers Association decide to end blockade
- Gunmen storm Sokoto Commissioner’s house; kidnap family members
- Foodstuff, Cattle dealers insist strike will continue
- Oyo State will not provide free land for private ranching – Seyi Makinde
- Federal Government extends tenure of network operators on NIN/SIM registration