Estimated Reading Time: 1
Vice-President, Yemi Osinbajo on Tuesday admitted that millions of Nigerians are extremely poor.
He said elected leaders would be irresponsible if they don’t collaborate and sort out what he called the nation’s life-threatening problems.
Osinbajo said these at the closing of the two-day executive-legislative leadership retreat held at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
He said members of the executive and legislative arms of governments do not have a choice than to collaborate if they are not to fail Nigerians who have given them the opportunity to serve at the high leadership levels they currently occupy.
He said, “Let me say that every generation of leadership must understand context. Law itself must be interpreted and implemented in context.
“What is the reality of the context that we operate in today? We all know, our nation has millions of extremely poor people, the COVID-19 pandemic has worsened employment and poverty.
“We have huge deficits in infrastructure, many children are out of school. If that is our context, we will be callous and irresponsible if we don’t come together, work together to sort out these grave life-threatening problems our people have to confront every day.”
Osinbajo told the gathering that it was time for leaders to focus on what they were elected to do.
He added, “It is time to focus on what we have been elected or appointed to do. This is the welfare of our people. The law and practice as between parliament and executive is a means to an end not an end to itself. The means must not jeopardise the end.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Oyo State gets first female Police Commissioner
- Wedding Photos: Former speaker Dimeji Bankole weds Kebbi Governor’s daughter
- Nigeria’s Golden Eaglets qualify for WAFU final, U17 AFCON
- Femi Adesina says Nigerians who fail to pray are guilty of prolonging the war against insecurity
- COVID-19: UK to close all travel corridors
- NAFDAC warns against the circulation of fake coronavirus vaccines
- The Kwara women who built community school with their personal funds have been refunded
- NIMC lists 50 NIN enrolment centres in Lagos, Abuja
- CAC declares companies inactive for failing to file annual returns
- Buhari should change service chiefs and consider new strategies to tackle insecurity – Wike