Estimated Reading Time: 1
Godwin Obaseki of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has defeated Mr Osagie Ize-Iyamu, to win a second term as governor of Edo State.
Obaseki was returned elected after polling the highest number of votes in the keenly-contested poll conducted on Saturday.
INEC Returning Officer for the poll declared the governor as the winner on Sunday at the office of the electoral umpire in Benin City, which doubled as the final collation centre.
The governor secured 307,955 of the total votes, 84,336 more votes than his closest rival Ize-Iyamu, who got 223, 619 votes.
A total of 14 political parties fielded candidates to jostle for the office of the governor in the state.
It is the first governorship poll to be conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) since the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country.
While it held in some places in line with the COVID-19 protocols of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), the compliance level was very low in other polling areas.
The announcement by the returning officer follows the collation of the results from all the 18 Local Government Areas of Edo where the election was conducted.
Governor Obaseki’s victory comes on the back of a tensed and heated electioneering process that saw him dump the APC after being disqualified from the primaries, join the PDP and overcome stiff opposition and criticism by members of his former party, including former ally and his predecessor Adams Oshiomhole.
Congratulations have started rolling on from party chieftains. Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar on his Twitter page, said Obaseki’s Victory at the polls signify an end to godfatherism in Nigeria’s political space
- In Delta, Governor Okowa sacks commissioners, SSG, Chief of Staff, others
- Muhammadu Buhari: As governments struggled to contain COVID, jihadists have taken advantage in the Sahel
- SERAP wants Nasir El-rufai to “immediately end the growing crackdown on workers and protesters in his state”
- Just In: Buhari appoints Abubakar Fikpo as DG NDE
- COVID-19: NAFDAC approves Johnson & Johnson for emergency use
- Ayade finally approves the ‘appointment’ of magistrates unpaid for 2 years
- Kaduna State Government vows to dismiss workers who join NLC protest
- Naomi Campbell welcomes baby daughter at 50
- Nigeria Immigration Service formally suspends issuance of new passports
- Kaduna strike: Wabba dares El-Rufai; leads protest to state house