Estimated Reading Time: 1
A soldier fighting Boko Haram insurgents in the north-east has reportedly killed himself.
TheCable Sources said the soldier, a lance corporal attached to the army’s 27 task force brigade in Buni Gari, Gujba local government area of Yobe state, committed suicide on Thursday at his duty post.
It is not clear what led to this action, but sources said the soldier suddenly took his gun, aimed at his head and pulled the trigger.
“He shot himself in the head, and he died immediately, before other soldiers could even rush to help,” a military source said.
The soldier was also said to have left a note for his wife.
His body has been evacuated and sources said investigation into what led to the incident is in progress.
Soldiers, especially those deployed in operation Lafiya Dole in the northeast, continue to complain about poor welfare.
- It was a system glitch – Instagram apologizes for censoring #EndSARS posts
- Attempted Jailbreak foiled at Ikoyi Prison
- #EndSARS: Open Letter to VP Osinbajo; It’s time to realise the emperor has no clothes
- Breaking: Lagos to ease 24-hour curfew imposed over #EndSars
- LCC says the closed-circuit television system from the Lekki toll gate is intact #EndSARS
- “Nobody ordered the removal of cameras at the Lekki toll gate” – Governor Sanwo-Olu denies again #EndSars
- CCTV was dismantled to cover the massacre of young peaceful, #EndSARS protesters by the military
- #EndSARS: NECO reschedules SSCE papers again
- Lekki Toll Gate Killings: Yemi Osinbajo speak on shootings
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: The Nigerian state has turned on its people #EndSARS