Estimated Reading Time: 2
Two people have been confirmed dead and one person critically injured in helicopter crash that happened in the Opebi area of Lagos State on Friday
NewsWireNGR gathered that the helicopter, a Bell 206, with registration number 5N BQW which belongs to Quorum Aviation, came in from Port Harcourt, the Rivers state capital with two crew members and a passenger.
The Chief Press Secretary to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Gboyega Akosile, tweeted that the injured victim has been taken to the hospital, while the dead bodies have been deposited at the mortuary
The Director-General of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr. Femi Osanyintolu, confirmed that the accident happened at mid-day when a distress call was made.
He said that with the quick response by the emergency team, one person was rescued.
“At about 12noon, we received a distress call in our command and control centre that there was a helicopter mishap and immediately we activated the Lagos state emergency response team.
“We were able to rescue one person alive and he has been transferred to the Lagos state teaching hospital where he is receiving adequate treatment, but it is pertinent to note that we recovered two bodies and they have been deposited at the mortuary.
“Based on the investigation carried out, it was due to the impact that led to their mortalities,” Dr Osanyintolu stressed that people on the ground were not affected by the crash.
The spokesman of the National Emergency Management Agency, Mr Ibrahim Farinloye said “about a few hours ago, we got information that there was a crash, so we contacted the control tower and they confirmed that they lost control. We called on NEMA headquarters to look at the distress alert which confirmed the crash and gave us the coordinates
Emergency services from the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the traffic management agency, and other sister agencies have been mobilised to the scene
Tunji Oketunmbi, the spokesperson of the Accident Investigation Bureau (AIB) had earlier confirmed the incident to Channels Television.
The helicopter crashed at 16A Salvation, Opebi Road in Ikeja, Lagos.
- Chairman of Taraba State LGA, Hon. Salihu Dovo, has been killed by his abductors
- Nigerian Police vows action against those behind the recent violence and ethnic tension Oyo state
- Attahiru M. Jega: Restructuring in Nigeria: Why? How? When?
- It makes no sense for cows to roam the streets in 2021 – Adamu Garba of twitter declares
- Buhari’s government has been very disappointing – Former INEC Chairman, Atthairu Jega fumes
- Social Media for Activism: How a Nigerian Law school Student is using Twitter to raise awareness on misogynistic laws #everydayfeminism
- Come back with laptops, Ipad, smartphones for e-learning – UNICAL to returning students
- Oyo Insecurity: Makinde, IGP to meet with Ibarapa community
- “For people stoking ethnic tension” – Olubadan calls for peace between Fulani and Yoruba residents
- PDP rejects former speaker Dogara, insists he is not part of the party