Estimated Reading Time: 2
Following the backlash and reactions that trailed a former minister of Aviation, Mr. Femi Fani-Kayode verbally assaulting a DailyTrust Reporter, Mr. Eyo Charles, at a press conference in Calabar, the Cross River State Council of the Nigerian Union of Journalists has blacklisted the State government and barred it members from covering its activities, for providing the platform upon which the journalist was verbally assaulted.
The council also blacklisted the former minister from media coverage in the state and directed media houses to withdraw their correspondents from Government House Calabar, and also proscribed what it described as “the illegally operated Government House Press Corps”.
These was contained in a communique signed by the State Chairman, Mr. Victor Udu, Secretary, Oka Ibor and the Chairman of the communique drafting committee, Richard Ndoma, after an emergency congress held on Thursday 27/08/2020 in Calabar, the Cross River State capital.
According to a communique signed by the Chairman, Victor Dan Udu, Secretary, Oka Ibor and the Chairman of the communique drafting committee, Richard Ndoma, the journalists who attended the presser at the private hotel of Governor Ben Ayade are to “individually write an apology” letter for not defending their colleague.
Also, the council demanded that all journalists who attended the press conference be issued warning letters for failing to protect and defend their colleague.
The communique reads in part; “Arising from the recent outburst from the former minister of Aviation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode with the Cross River State Correspondent of the Daily Trust Newspaper, Mr. Eyo Charles, during an illegal press conference organized by the Cross River State Government, on Thursday, August 20, 2020, and the subsequent reaction from different segments of the society, the Cross-State Council of the NUJ held an emergency congress to appraise the various issues that emerged from the event.”
The statement further reads; “Congress condemns the verbal insult and abuse from FFK and noted that such words could only come out from the lips of a frustrated, immature, bankrupt, irresponsible and unsteady mind and accordingly blacklisted the former minister from all media activities in the state.
“Congress restates its total support for and stands with the Daily Trust Correspondent, Eyo Charles on the question that resulted in the unprovoked outburst.” it read.
- Former Senate President, Bukola Saraki express concern over the silence of “leaders” over tensions in Ondo and Oyo
- Chairman of Taraba State LGA, Hon. Salihu Dovo, has been killed by his abductors
- Nigerian Police vows action against those behind the recent violence and ethnic tension Oyo state
- Attahiru M. Jega: Restructuring in Nigeria: Why? How? When?
- It makes no sense for cows to roam the streets in 2021 – Adamu Garba of twitter declares
- Buhari’s government has been very disappointing – Former INEC Chairman, Atthairu Jega fumes
- Social Media for Activism: How a Nigerian Law school Student is using Twitter to raise awareness on misogynistic laws #everydayfeminism
- Come back with laptops, Ipad, smartphones for e-learning – UNICAL to returning students
- Oyo Insecurity: Makinde, IGP to meet with Ibarapa community
- “For people stoking ethnic tension” – Olubadan calls for peace between Fulani and Yoruba residents