Estimated Reading Time: 1
Individuals claiming to be staff of the Imo State Oil Producing Areas Developing Commission (ISOPADEC) on Monday allegedly ambushed and attacked the convoy of Imo State Governor Senator Hope Uzodinma over three months’ unpaid salaries.
According to The WHISTLER in Owerri, the governor was on his way to Obinze for an official assignment when he was attacked.
A statement by the Imo State Police Command, signed by its PPRO, SP Orlando Godson Ikeokwu, said that the incident occurred at about 1130hrs, adding that the group attacked the vehicles in the convoy with a locally made pistol and machetes around the Concord area of New Owerri.
According to the statement, “In the process, windscreens of some of the vehicles in the convoy were smashed and the vehicles damaged. Patrol teams in Owerri Metropolis were mobilized to the scene and fifteen persons were arrested with one locally made pistol, two machetes, one masquerade facemask, a chain and a padlock. The governor’s security aides exercised a lot of restraint to avert bloodshed in the situation.”
It added that the arrested suspects had been handed over to state CID for discreet investigations and warned members of the public not to take laws into their hands.
The police also advised the public to report any genuine grievances to the police, rather than resort to self-help as the police would not tolerate any form of lawlessness within the state.
- Former AGF, Abdullahi Ibrahim dies of COVID-19 complications
- COVID-19: Lagos state has started conversations with Pfizer for vaccines – Sanwo-Olu
- Former Senate President, Bukola Saraki express concern over the silence of “leaders” over tensions in Ondo and Oyo
- Chairman of Taraba State LGA, Hon. Salihu Dovo, has been killed by his abductors
- Nigerian Police vows action against those behind the recent violence and ethnic tension Oyo state
- Attahiru M. Jega: Restructuring in Nigeria: Why? How? When?
- It makes no sense for cows to roam the streets in 2021 – Adamu Garba of twitter declares
- Buhari’s government has been very disappointing – Former INEC Chairman, Atthairu Jega fumes
- Social Media for Activism: How a Nigerian Law school Student is using Twitter to raise awareness on misogynistic laws #everydayfeminism
- Come back with laptops, Ipad, smartphones for e-learning – UNICAL to returning students