Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Nigerian Military has called on Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State to be mindful of the allegations he levelled against troops fighting insurgents in the North-east.
The governor had in July accused the military of attacking his convoy in Baga, a town in Borno State.
Zulum attributed the attack to a sabotage from the army and that he would mobilise hunters in the state to secure the town if the army could not do the job.
However, Felix Omoigui, the Deputy Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, said the governor’s claims were untrue.
He said, “The governor of Borno state believed these allegations levelled against troops of the 19 Brigade in Baga given his recent utterances.
“Remarks of highly placed persons are capable of demoralising the troops which would negatively impact on operations and the confidence of the locals in the military.
“Allegations of such nature could be avoided if the military authority was contacted on issues concerning troops activities before going public
“The realisations that the allegation emanated from security agencies could trigger reactions and animosity among troops and attendant negative consequences.
Omoigui also debunked the allegation that troops in Baga engage in fishing business in the area.
He said the prohibition of troops engaging in fishing and farming activities in Baga is contained in the standing procedure of the military operation in the town.
He said, “The allegations were conjured by some overzealous security agencies who for personal glory and without recourse for the tenets of inter-agency cooperation decided to propagate falsehood.”
- Breaking: Hoodlums set ablaze Nnamdi Azikiwe’s statue ablaze in Anambra
- Breaking: Houses owned by Senator Ndoma Egba, Gershom Bassey looted and burnt in calabar
- Afenifere and Ohaneze Ndigbo beg thugs to cease looting #EndSARS
- Osun State Government revokes suspended curfew, declares another 24 hour lockdown
- Angry mob invade and rob senator’s residence in Ibadan
- Fredrick Nwabufo: ‘Hoodlums’ – the new title for hired thugs and unknown soldiers
- US considers visa restriction on officials culpable in the shooting of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll Plaza
- Oyigbo town has become IPOB’s main operational base in Rivers State – Governor Wike
- #EndSARS: Super Eagles’ John Ogu ask players to boycott games
- Wizkid announced as new face of Puma sportswear