Estimated Reading Time: 1
Police have taken over the Edo State House of Assembly complex in Benin City, the state capital.
Dozens of the security officials stormed the complex on Thursday morning while patrol vehicles were stationed there.
Channels Television reports that the police took the action following a reported threat of an attack on the facility.
The police officers were led to the Assembly by a Deputy Commissioner of Police (Operations), Ayoola Ajala.
Those at the Assembly include operatives attached to the Police Mobile Force and Operation Thunderstorm.
Shortly after the police were deployed at the facility, personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) also arrived at the complex.
Barely a day before the security operatives took over the facility, members of the Assembly impeached the Deputy Speaker of the House, Yekini Idiaye.
Idiaye was impeached during plenary on Wednesday and replaced with Roland Asoro, the lawmaker representing Orhionmwon II Constituency.
His impeachment came a few days after Idiaye and four other lawmakers declared their support for the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Osagie Ize-Iyamu.
The five lawmakers were among the 10 members of the House inaugurated in July 2019 while 14 others have yet to be inaugurated.
They insisted that their decision was to remain in the APC on whose platform they were elected.
- Nigerian Military decimate Boko Haram camp in Borno
- Borno state Governor says south-easterners should negotiate for power rather than expect others to leave it for them
- Islamic State terrorists raid Nigeria’s military base in Marte, Borno
- ..had gone to the pharmacy to buy medicine …..How Gunmen abduct Imo State University lecturer
- Lagos Government releases work-from-home directive; Grade 14 & below to resume Feb 1
- Yoweri Museveni of Uganda wins 6th term re-election
- Rovers of Calabar to square up against 3SC in NNL season opening match
- Abia State Government gives 7 Days ultimatum to street traders in Aba
- Oyo State gets first female Police Commissioner
- Wedding Photos: Former speaker Dimeji Bankole weds Kebbi Governor’s daughter