Estimated Reading Time: 1
Lagos State Governor Sanwo-Olu says the Eti-Osa Isolation Centre has been closed down, with effect from Friday night.
Sanwo-Olu announced the closure at Lagos House, Marina, during the 17th update on the management of coronavirus in the state.
The governor said the Agidingbi Isolation Centre would also be closed and the patients relocated to a large capacity centre – Indo-Centre in Anthony area, which would be soon be inaugurated.
“Over the last four, five months, we have built excess capacity centre, but that is only the way to go, you cannot over-prepare.
“We have got to a stage where we need to balance the economics of this and which of these facilities do we need to keep running.
“Some of them now are having less than 20 per cent of occupancy.
“This is why we reach a conclusion to shut Eti-Osa facility and another one in Lekki,” the governor said.
He explained that the Infectious Diseases Hospital in Yaba “is now also gradually being reverted back to its former status as a hospital to cater to all forms of infectious diseases.”
He added that the CACOVID dedicated tent on the IDH grounds would, however, remain strictly for COVID-19 cases.
Sanwo-Olu said in June, the government further expanded COVID-19 testing capacity in Lagos with the accreditation of seven private laboratories.
According to him, in the week ended July 26, the government successfully tested close to 9,000 samples in Lagos State, across the public and private sector laboratories.
He said that it showed a 50 per cent increase from the approximately 6,000 samples tested in each of the preceding two weeks.
The governor said that the increase in testing would lead to an increase in the number of daily confirmed cases of the virus in the state.
- ‘Sheikh Gumi, others should exercise restraint’ Nigerian Army cautions
- COVID-19 Testing: Nigerian Government threatens to ban flights from UAE, Netherlands
- COVID-19: Ogun State receives 50,000 vaccine doses
- Nigerian students can now work in the UK after schooling; here’s the latest directive
- You promised to free her, Leah Sharibu’s family writes Buhari
- Breaking: No fewer than 19 persons have been abducted in Kutunku village in Niger State
- “OBJ, faults and all” – Kingsley Moghalu says former President Obasanjo is Nigeria’s best president since 1999
- Minister Pauline Tallen’s niece has been kidnapped In Jos
- EFCC invites Ondo Assembly members over fraud allegations
- #IWD: Aisha Buhari laments school kidnapping